clunks and car wont go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clunks and car wont go.

it clunks the same in all 5 gears and doesnt move at all... I dont know what the problem is???

this is what I have done so far:
    removed transmission, and turn it with a wrench... the input and output spun and power from my hand was going through so i figure its good?

so I figured it was the clutch...
    so i had a friend turn the engine with a wrench and looked at the hole to the bell housing... the internals were spinning... so I figured the clutch is engaged and working properly?

so then I figured it was the thing connected to the half shafts. I spun it and it spun the tires and half shafts...

whats wrong???

80,000 miles
    Last edited by josephfpu; 07-04-2012, 10:16 PM.
    Dirty Bird Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lZFu6xRNk
    extreme unicycling with my Festiva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSEpsjCKQ0

i know one of my friends had a problem similar to that and it ended up being a brokem cv shaft. if you have access to a lift put the car up and have someone look underneith while you are in the car holding the brakes and letting the clutch out. just a thought. i might be wrong but it cant hurt to look to see if it is the problem.
    93 Festiva L White B6T
    99 Dodge Ram STL Green Cummins. AKA the Jolly Green Giant
    89 Festiva Blue
    91 Green “Mad Maxine” Festiva B6T
    93 Festiva GL Black BP automatic
    93 Festiva GL Green stock

Comment

Originally posted by HondaSlayer View Post
      i know one of my friends had a problem similar to that and it ended up being a brokem cv shaft. if you have access to a lift put the car up and have someone look underneith while you are in the car holding the brakes and letting the clutch out. just a thought. i might be wrong but it cant hurt to look to see if it is the problem.
      thats a great idea, thing is, the transmission is already out tho
      any other ideas on how to check whats wrong?
      Dirty Bird Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lZFu6xRNk
      extreme unicycling with my Festiva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSEpsjCKQ0

Comment

You had better have something holding the side gears when spinning the input shaft. CV cases work the best. With it in any gear hold a CV case with one knee while spinning the input shaft. The other CV should spin against your attempt to hold it. If not, something is broke inside trans, most likely something in diff.

Comment

Originally posted by josephfpu View Post
          so I figured it was the clutch...
          so i had a friend turn the engine with a wrench and looked at the hole to the bell housing... the internals were spinning... so I figured the clutch is engaged and working properly?
          This confuses me... was this done with the transmission in or out of the car? And what hole in the bellhousing were you looking through? Also, with no load on the trans, even a completely toasted clutch can still have enough grad to spin the input shaft, but as soon as it tries to move the weight of the entire car it will slip. Have you removed the pressure plate and actually looked at the clutch disk itself?
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

since the trans is out just grab a cv shaft and and try twisting the ends oppisite of each other and see if it will crunch or anything. and to htchbck he was probably looking through the starter hole if it was still in the car and was seeing the flywheel spin.
            93 Festiva L White B6T
            99 Dodge Ram STL Green Cummins. AKA the Jolly Green Giant
            89 Festiva Blue
            91 Green “Mad Maxine” Festiva B6T
            93 Festiva GL Black BP automatic
            93 Festiva GL Green stock

Comment

^^ thats what I'm guessing. Which would prove only that all 6 flywheel bolts hadn't spontaneously sheered off... if that is indeed what he was doing.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Lets see some pictures of parts, like the clutch disk..
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                X