adjusting clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adjusting clutch

i have not had a stick shift before but now i think my clutch is slipping when going on a onramp of a highway. my question is how do you know when the clutch has been adjusted so far and cannot be adjusted anymore?

thanks for all replys

The adjustment nut is at the clutch fork in the engine compartment. It is on the end of the clutch cable. Up this way (Ontario) they get thoroughly seized due to salt corrosion. It should be tight against the fork. If there is slack the nut needs to be tightened. Tightening it a bit more might buy you a little more time to start saving for a new clutch. If the clutch is worn out you'll notice slippage in 4th or 5th gear when you hammer on the gas. Only remedy for this is an overhaul. Only car transmission you can virtually hold in one hand. Start looking out for a Haynes Festy/Aspire manual.

Comment

on rock auto there is several clutch sets one is ac delco another exedy plus i shoped the other parts stores online. which one should i steer clear from? any cheaply made ones out there?

Comment

Unless there is no clutch pedal free play adjusting the cable won't fix slippage.

Comment

I just bought a clutch set for $32 with free shipping on ebay, has pressure plate, disk, throwout bearing included but no alignment tool. Just enter "festiva clutch". Also got a new flywheel with ring gear for $55 , local shop wanted $50 to refinish the original due to it's shape but ring gear was worn bad. Advance auto had the flywheel pilot bearing for $6.
          Last edited by denguy; 07-06-2012, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
            I just bought a clutch set for $32 with free shipping on ebay, has pressure plate, disk, throwout bearing included but no alignment tool.
            Whoa! Good price! I might need to get one just to have it! I think I have two or three of the adjustment tools...
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

thank you a;ll for your replys

Comment

how many labor hours should a shop charge to change a clutch?

Comment

Id say 5-6 hours to change a clutch

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                    Id say 5-6 hours to change a clutch
                    That should be in quotes for shop labor charge. I could do it in 3-4 hours on my b6t/g5mr festiva.
                    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                    14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by miami man View Post
                      how many labor hours should a shop charge to change a clutch?
                      Shop rates around here are $80 to $100 for business.
                      Back yards are around $45 and hour

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I've heard if a technician can't do the work in half the book time he won't keep his job.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                        X