Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upper radiator hose -- parts stores give wrong part!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper radiator hose -- parts stores give wrong part!

I was doing a periodic precautionary replacement of radiators hoses and found that the upper hose from Napa (hose #7733) doesn't fit.

So I tried O'Reilly -- their hose #21008 doesn't fit either. It's bad in the same way as the Napa #7733 is bad.

Attached is a photo of my existinig upper hose and the Napa 7733. Napa says their computer says "cut to fit," which is fine for the end that's too long, but not for the too-short end, since it doesn't also say "glue to fit."

Anybody have a good source? I like to replace my main radiator hoses every few years and my heater hoses now and then also. I've been buying everyting from Napa since I got my first Festy in 2000 and never had this problem before.

Note that the Napa-supplied hose #8390 was a perfect fit for the lower side of the radiator.
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 07-07-2012, 06:32 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

HOSE-RADIATOR LWR - Hyundai/Kia - PRIDE
    (MB30115185A)
    $5.93

HOSE-RADIATOR UPR - Hyundai/Kia - PRIDE
    (MB30115186)
    $6.32

These are the Kia equivalent part numbers and prices from Four Green. Fedex shipping from Korea is extra.

Comment

Heck my '89 still has its original hoses and they seem to be in decent shape!

Comment

Bravekozak --

I checked out FourGreen.com. it appears that, despite listing a fax # in Deaborn MI (but no phone # anywyay), they ONLY ship by FedEx -- $27.90 just for one little hose. Surely, somebody in the U.S. must have this part. It's not like the car is down -- this is just a precautionary replacement.

MasterTec --

You're running quarter century old hoses? Surely they're brittle and subject to cracking and leaks!
        88L black, dailydriver
        4 88/89 disassembled
        91L green
        91GL aqua pwrsteer
        92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Actually surprisingly no.. they seem to be in really good condition. <shrug>

Comment

Originally posted by MasterTec View Post
            Heck my '89 still has its original hoses and they seem to be in decent shape!
            Thats all fine and good if you arent driving the Alaska Pipeline
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Actually, I maintain my Seattle Festies better than I do the two Alaska ones, since you can find yourself in more of a jam stuck in 100 degree heat and blazing sun with no shade on the side of I-90 two hundred miles from civilization in Washington State as tooling around Los Anchorage, where you can always take a taxi home. Normally, if you have to go any real distance in Alaska where there happens to be roads (which is only a tiny part of the state), you fly.

Someone speak up ... where do those wise ones about you who replace your pre-formed radiator hoses buy them? Or do you also run timing belts that were manufactured during the Regan second administration?

What would you do if one of your hoses sprang a leak? Get our your roll of quarter century-old duct tape?

Oh, there isn't a road (at least not a public one, and certainly not one accessible in winter) that runs along the 800-mile pipeline. If someone needs to service the pipeline, they fly, too.
              Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 07-08-2012, 09:25 PM.
              88L black, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                Actually, I maintain my Seattle Festies better than I do the two Alaska ones, since you can find yourself in more of a jam stuck in 100 degree heat and blazing sun with no shade on the side of I-90 two hundred miles from civilization in Washington State as tooling around Los Anchorage, where you can always take a taxi home. Normally, if you have to go any real distance in Alaska where there happens to be roads (which is only a tiny part of the state), you fly.

Someone speak up ... where do those wise ones about you who replace your pre-formed radiator hoses buy them? Or do you also run timing belts that were manufactured during the Regan second administration?

What would you do if one of your hoses sprang a leak? Get our your roll of quarter century-old duct tape?

Oh, there isn't a road (at least not a public one, and certainly not one accessible in winter) that runs along the 800-mile pipeline. If someone needs to service the pipeline, they fly, too.
                It was a figure of speach (Driving the Pipeline).I would just purchase mine in Los Anchorage.All the parts store's are within cab distance.
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

At this point I think the flex hose would fit better and cause less
                  stress than the Gates hose. Dayco hose and Goodyear would be
                  the other US manufactured ? hose.
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

From RockAuto.com

Goodyear 61002 12" $4.57 closeout
                    Goodyear 041 $5.33 closeout
                    Gates 25152 15" $7.22
                    Gates 21008 $9.39
                    ACDelco 31602 15" $7.70
                    ACDelco 20100S $14.37
                    Dayco 70834 11" $8.73
                    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                    2005 Accord - wife's DD
                    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

here is a pic of goodyear, hard to tell if they used the same SAE info that
                      must now be in error. Stick or auto comes up the same.
                      62533 goodyear off of the mazda protoge 1.6 SOHC looks right by pic..
                      I could not find diameter specs. Application pic first, mazda 2nd.

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks, Larry and Movin ... I'll give these #s to the local Seattle parts stores and see what they can produce.

BTW, my Amphicar used flex hoses and I had problem with them collapsing in on themselves.
                        88L black, dailydriver
                        4 88/89 disassembled
                        91L green
                        91GL aqua pwrsteer
                        92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

hoses

Advance Auto has them....www.advanceautoparts.com......my store has them on the shelf. Hope that is of help.
                          Mark
                          92 GL, 98k
                          77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

After oI found I had a problem with an old Ford truck with dual external water pump blowing houses frequently due to pressure, iO started just making hoses from exhaust tubing, flared at the ends, and using"band clamps" (think big truck exhaust) instead of hose clamps on the rubber coupler pieces, bought from plumbing supply and meant for drain splicing. I imagine I'd do the same if the Festiva ended up needing a hose, instead of buying one.

Comment

Working...
                            X