bp speratic compression on cyl 4 :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bp speratic compression on cyl 4 :(

so after all the changing of fuel injectors, plugs, wires, distributer cap, and adding a fpr i still couldnt get it running on all 4 corectly. i got fuel and i got spark so that doesnt seem to be the problem. so i did a quick compression test (dont know if i did it 100% proper like) and #3 was around 120 but #4 was all over the place it went up and down from 60 to 120 and everywhere in between how in the world is that possible????!!!!!!!! rings, valves, hole in piston? thanks for the suggestions and the help

this car is really making me mad and at this point it may become an auction thread instead of a repair thread
    Last edited by bobbyspider; 07-08-2012, 07:37 PM.
    -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
    -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
    so after all the changing of fuel injectors, plugs, wires, distributer cap, and adding a fpr i still couldnt get it running on all 4 corectly. i got fuel and i got spark so that doesnt seem to be the problem. so i did a quick compression test (dont know if i did it 100% proper like) and #3 was around 120 but #4 was all over the place it went up and down from 60 to 120 and everywhere in between how in the world is that possible????!!!!!!!! rings, valves, hole in piston? thanks for the suggestions and the help

this car is really making me mad and at this point it may become an auction thread instead of a repair thread
    Sticky Valve
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Did you ever get the vics working right?
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I think you should just sell it ....

to me !!! pm me a price .
        New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
          Sticky Valve
          dont roll your eyes at me mister lol i wondered and verry much secretly hoped that it was a sticky valve and not rings. it doesnt smoke so i didnt think it was a ring or piston issue.

how do i address this problem?

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
          Did you ever get the vics working right?
          this is another thing i dont understand that i noticed. when i hook the vac line up to the vics is the actuator supposed to stay stationary or will it slam (shut or open) hope you understand what i meen
          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
            I think you should just sell it ....

to me !!! pm me a price .

im leaning more and more toward this. im prob one of the least mecanical people on here and this car hates me thats why i named it relentless

Comment

Try a chemical cleaner to remove carbon deposits? Worked for me. Unless those symptoms inidcate a bent valve shaft or something other than carbon buildup. Not the sort of thing I've ever had to deal with. (Um, I think valve stem, not valve shaft.)
              Last edited by WmWatt; 07-08-2012, 08:20 PM.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It's vacuum actuated, but the solenoid controls wether or not its open or shut, so it would depend on the ecu wether its open or shut and when. I think the stock ecu opens up at like 4500 but I'm not 100% on that. You got the BP ecu right?
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                  Try a chemical cleaner to remove carbon deposits? Worked for me. Unless those symptoms inidcate a bent valve shaft or something other than carbon buildup. Not the sort of thing I've ever had to deal with. (Um, I think valve stem, not valve shaft.)
                  i hope to god it isnt a bent valve. so just

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                  It's vacuum actuated, but the solenoid controls wether or not its open or shut, so it would depend on the ecu wether its open or shut and when. I think the stock ecu opens up at like 4500 but I'm not 100% on that. You got the BP ecu right?
                  yerp i got the bp ecu hooked up and wires ran.

i did a bad explanation i think ill try it again.

with the motor running: when i unhook the vac hose the butterfly for the vics relaxes
                  when i hook the vac hose back it tenses up and goes the other direction. :dontknow:

before when it wasnt working i tied it open. now it seems to stay wide open :dontknow:

Comment

All over the place compression happens at the valves..seating sometimes. This happens
                    due to carbon build up or worn parts..not bent. Valve guide or valve sinking into seat.

Its never been run hard ?
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

lol nope i never ran it hard.

tomorrow im going to seafoam it up and if anyone else has some other suggestions please let me know.

anyone have any sugestions on if anything is up with my vics?

Comment

Can you push the actuator up and put your finger on the hole to keep it held in place? if you plug the top hole it should stay up. That will let you know if its got a good diaphram or not. Check and make sure the vacuum lines are ran to it right, ill see if I can dig up a picture later, other than that its just 2 wires ran to the solenoid, a (W/R?) +12v start/run and the other wire goes straight back to the ecu (2s??)

Without looking at the books I think that's right, double check tho, its in the haynes manual.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                        X