A/C recharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C recharge

I just finished putting all of the a/c component into my festy. The system I pulled it from was charged and had r12... I was wondering what the best method for recharging my a/c would be.... Can I convert it to r134a? should I try to track down some r12? Thanks! I've never dealt with an a/c system before so I'm kinda in the dark..... looking forward to a nice cool festy

Did you plan ahead? Since you put everything back in, I suppose you put new seals? Were the seals r134a compatible? If they were you will probably have to go to a A/C shop and put your system in vacuum and dry it out, then pump it up with r134a. If you didn't put those seal in, you could try and find r12a, but you're still going to need to dry your system, I think a shop is in order.

You won't find r12, and if you do it won't be worth it.
    Hodginsa - Photography - Cars, people, everything.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

Did you flush the old lines, compressor and condenser? You'll need a new dryer too.

This is if you're converting. You can use new PAG oil that it 134a compatible.

This is what I did in the wife's car converting it over to 134a.
      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

yes, I put new o-rings in and I will pick up a new dryer (the cylinder that's attached to the condensor, correct?).... I was trying to avoid taking it into a shop, buy since I don't have a vaccuum it's probably worth bringing it in and having them evac/flush/and retro fit it to r134a....

Comment

Another quick question.... how to you get the wires off of the heater control box in order to pull it out??? and where does the wire/cable run that connects to the evaporator box (black box under passenger dash).... it looks as if a vent control cable should connect to it

Comment

After you have done Larrys advise above put 134 fittings on then a shop
            can do the evac and fill.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

any idea on the cable running from switch on the evaporator black box

Comment

My used 91 came with factory AC but it is out of order. I am thinking of reactivating it and wondering how it will effect my mpg. I am getting an average of 43 mpg right now.

Comment

Good news..... I found three 12 oz cans of r12 that a friend gave me... New in the package from the late 80s I'm guessing. Should I try to convert or try to recharge with the r12?

Comment

Let me know what you do. If you decide on r134A, you have a customer. Just name your price shipped to Lewiston, New York.

Comment

how to you get the wires off of the heater control box in order to pull it out???
                      pull your radio out and very tediously start unplugging everything connected to it, i thought it was only 3 wire harness connections and 3 cables.
                      any idea on the cable running from switch on the evaporator black box
                      that cable from the evaporater box connects to the same "plastic tab thingy" sry dont know name of it, as the cable controlling the hot to cold lever on ur heater. get under the drivers side of dash and look behind the radio/heater, and flip that lever back and forth, look for something moving. it hooks to that. the cable goes from the evaporater box,wraps behind all the mess to that little tab. u should see it. if u still cant find it let me know and ill post a pic if u want
                      93 L plus 5 speed, custom herculined paint job, custom billet grille

Comment

It was easier for me to unhook the wires from the other end where they connect to whatever...than it was to unhook the pieces of wire from the heater control itself. I doubt I would ever get it back together if I took it apart at the heater control box.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                        X