X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle prob

88 Festiva
    Idles really fast or stalls.
    Doesn't seem to drop off like normal when de-accelerating.
    Took EGR valve off this morning and cleaned black gook out...plugged solid. Maybe it needs replacing.
    Have run a couple bottles of carb cleaner in the gas as well as spray carb cleaner.
    any thoughts appreciated............

Need more info !! Did it just start doing this. Own the car long? Make any changes recently, etc. Does it surge a couple on hundred RPMs at a stop? I recently went through this scenario after putting a different engine in my car. My problem was fixed by adjusting the throttle stop screw. Send more info, Id love to save someone the trouble I went through to find the problem. See my post " high idle " in the repair forum at this site and see if it sounds familiar.
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

look at this post:

Comment

idle

Originally posted by freshtiva
        Need more info !! Did it just start doing this. Own the car long? Make any changes recently, etc. Does it surge a couple on hundred RPMs at a stop? I recently went through this scenario after putting a different engine in my car. My problem was fixed by adjusting the throttle stop screw. Send more info, Id love to save someone the trouble I went through to find the problem. See my post " high idle " in the repair forum at this site and see if it sounds familiar.
        hey thanks.......I'll try next time to give more info ops:
        I bought this little 88 Festiva about 3 wks ago for $250.
        Has 175000 but everything works except 4th gear.
        I dont know the model but it's carbureted,5 speed,2 door,power mirrors. It tends to idle around 2500 or else stall when at a stop sign. The idle doesn't seem to drop off like it should when shifting gears.
        I think it may have idled fine when I bought it but as soon as I got home I washed the engine and sprayed carb cleaner in it. ops: Like I said the EGR valve was plugged. All vacume hoses appear to be fine. I replaced plugs but haven't messed with dist cap or wires. I have fiddled with the idle screws a bit. After reading a few posts here, I'm going to try again cleaning the primary part of the carb. I've spotted about 8 other Festivas sitting around.... :wink: thanks for your help

Comment

yes it tends to surge also..... :wink:

Comment

Read this post:

sounds familiar !!
            sigpic

Comment

hey thanks........that thread will really help.

Comment

You are welcome, that is what this forum is for, hope you get that festy running good.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X