ummm?? what should i do about this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ummm?? what should i do about this??

okay so i was getting my low mileage aspire engine ready for a quick install this weekend, doing gaskets and such. so when i went to pull the lower radiator hose off the block a whole bunch of corn was in it, where appearantly a mouse or something hid his stash. idk what i should do now. what would yall do?
    93 L plus 5 speed, custom herculined paint job, custom billet grille

Get out the butter and salt and a kettle. :p
    seriously though, you should be able to flush all the corn out of the hoses and radiator with a little patience. Check all your hoses and wires for damage from the critter ( they love too eat rubber and wire insulation). Make sure you rinse all that corn out, you don't want that getting into the cooling passages in the engine. Hope that helps .
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

how do i get it out of the block? i got out all i seen by the front but i dunno if theres any inside or not. i thought about taking a water hose to it,

Comment

This was in the engine you are going to use??
        Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

I would think a water hose in from the top should wash all the corn out the bottom

Comment

Corn does swell when you make it wet. Which might make your problem worse. Do you have access to a pressure washer? Maybe you can blow everything the H out of there. Mice that eat antifreeze-soaked corn don't fare very well either and are likely also still in there.

This 'fresh' engine of yours wouldn't appear to have come out of a running car recently. Be forewarned that seals and gaskets also dry out over time.

Comment

I would think a water hose in from the top should wash all the corn out the bottom
              thats kinda what i thought.
              This 'fresh' engine of yours wouldn't appear to have come out of a running car recently. Be forewarned that seals and gaskets also dry out over time.
              i bought it from an older gentleman who said it came out of his wrecked 40k mile aspire a year ago and has been sitting in his heated shop since. i bought it about six months ago where it went into my barn then. i dont think its been in there long cause the corn looked fresh and i dont feed my chicken corn in the winter, i feed them laying crumbles. not till summer when they get to catch bugs do i feed them corn.... anyway its in there now so it really dont matter how long. right? but im kinda taking a chance on this engine, i know but it looks emaculate, whole engine is clean, looks beautiful under the valve cover, so sign of leaking oil, and no fouling on plugs, crank still turns easy with wrench, and since i need to replace my clutch anyway, i thought y not and put in that one....
              do u think my seals will be dry rotted after only that short time??

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                Precisely. And rust. And the water pump has sat dry, etc.
                Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

All debris should flush out with the tstat out and bidirectional flushing.

Corn should be good to seal large leaks as it stops in the hole then slowly
                  swells..

Power bait, chew, coffee, flour, tea...all kinds of things can stop leaks..
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                    All debris should flush out with the tstat out and bidirectional flushing.

Corn should be good to seal large leaks as it stops in the hole then slowly
                    swells..

Power bait, chew, coffee, flour, tea...all kinds of things can stop leaks..
                    Ha ha, that is actually good thinking!
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                      Ha ha, that is actually good thinking!
                      Yeah it is!
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I'd be inclined to fish as much out as possible with a length or wire. If you heat the engine it would probably pop and be a devil to get out. Or swell with a water flush. Could you flush with, say, used motor oil? Of try compressed air, or the shop vac? You could just leave it in the shop overnight and let the mice dig it out. They put it in there, let them get it out.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

^^^
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                          X