Door panels/interior painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door panels/interior painting

I'm thinking about painting my door panels and other pieces of the interior black. Does anybody have any idea as to what I should use? I don't want it to be sticky, look like crap, or wear off in a month. Let me know, Thanks.

SEM is a leading manufacturer of innovative paints, adhesives and coating products. Our products are developed to exceed your automotive, aerospace and marine repair and refinishing needs.

It's what I have used!!! It works
    Chuck
    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
    If money will fix it, it's not broken
    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
    93 GL - Lil Red
    91 L - Tweetystiva
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

You'll want to use a plastic primer to get the paint you choose to stick to the vinyl. It's best to use a vinyl paint over the top of the primer as well. That being said, it's a good idea to use body filler to fill any gouges in the back plastic and sand it down with a high grit paper. It boils down to patience. Spray light coats several times instead of one solid coat. Door cards are easy to recreate. If you would like that info, PM me.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

A black interior will be pretty hot, ie untouchable, in the summer sun.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I don't even own a Festiva...yet. Maybe never...but I've already thought about redoing the interior. I used to own a Mazda 3 and some of those guys were reupholstering the door panels with fabric. Turned out pretty cool. Was wonder if that could be done to the doors as well. With fabric you have tons of patterns/colors to choose from. The doors and headliner could be done in fabric and other plastic parts painted with the semproducts.

-Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
          Random Festiva Parts
          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

That's quite unique. I imagine the Festiva would do alright with that. Probably not THAT fabric, but a bold checkered flag over a brushed aluminum kick panel and some 323 armrests would harken to earlier road car design...
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Wow the fabric looks pretty cool. If anything, I would probably get some fabric and just use a staple gun to staple them in. I did that with my ranger's headliner and it ended up looking good.

Comment

Yeah, staples on the back side and some spray adhesive should do the trick.
                -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                Random Festiva Parts
                Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
                  Yeah, staples on the back side and some spray adhesive should do the trick.
                  I use fishing line to pull the back together after I spray adhesive on the door card material's face. I then take the whole assembly and lay it face down on an MDF board that has a cheap sheet laid on it to protect the chosen door card covering from damage. A second MDF board gets laid down on top (make sure to drill holes for the clips), and four cinder blocks rest on top of that for pressure. After the glue dries, remove the upper board, loosen the fishing line and spray adhesive under the overlapping material. Tighten up, weigh it down again, let the adhesive fully dry, and then release the line. No staples used.

Comment

^^^ Could you explain how you use the fishing line?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Some Festiva door panels already have (sort of) fabric on them. I think GL and LX, maybe?

Comment

Yes the GL do, im not sure about the LX but i believe so
                        91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
                        Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
                        Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                          Could you explain how you use the fishing line?
                          Sure. You overlap the door card with your proposed material (preferably vinyl) by two inches all the way around the back of the card, trimming corners so as not to overlap again. The fishing line is used as a lacing, going from the overlap at the top of the door to that on the bottom, and so with the sides. You choose where and how many times to pull the material. Corners require a bit more attention. To keep from tearing or pulling the material in a manner other than intended, it may be best to not immediately return to the opposing side with the line, but run to the side an inch and then return.

Comment

Originally posted by Powerstiva View Post
                            Yes the GL do, I'm not sure about the LX but i believe so
                            I can vouch for both an '88 LX and a '90 L+.

Comment

I have black vinyl door panels I live in a desert, its not too bad
                              91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                              06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X