axle nut torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axle nut torque

damn , that seems a little high, (FSM), is that correct ????
    He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
    1987 F-250 diesel-powered
    1984 Ironhead Chopper
    1999 Ducati Monster

Sorry, missed the pre-amble.
    In the absence of a torque wrench I generally don't go wild on over-tightening things. Accomplishes nothing except unduly stress metal parts. Both (inner and outer) front bearings seat against a relatively thin and non-machined spacer ring. That's it!
    Head bolts and other goodies in cast iron/aluminum parts with machined surfaces are a different matter, and are worthy of proper attention.

Comment

Looks like we're missing a post here....front axle nut torque is listed in Haynes as 116 - 174 ft/lbs.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

got it 120

1990 Festiva
        1984 Ironhead Chopper
        1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

The weight of an average-size dude on an 18 inch breaker bar.

Comment

To break it loose on the Protege that's donating it's BP to the festy. I had a 18inch Breaker bar with a 3ft cheater pipe on it. I still had to get a running start and give it some wheaties!
            Owner of:
            1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
            In progress:
            BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              Looks like we're missing a post here....front axle nut torque is listed in Haynes as 116 - 174 ft/lbs.
              yea thats close to what the FSM said, just seemed a little much but WTF do i know. just checkin.

BTW mine broke loose with a air gun,

1990 Festiva
              1984 Ironhead Chopper
              1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
                To break it loose on the Protege that's donating it's BP to the festy. I had a 18inch Breaker bar with a 3ft cheater pipe on it. I still had to get a running start and give it some wheaties!
                Try jumping from a 6-foot or taller ladder. The acceleration should give you the force you need.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I do the fronts 150 ft/lbs as that is as high as my torque wrench goes. You don't want any play in those bearings. After driving for a while and letting the rolling weigth of the car seat the bearings I try tightening the axle nuts more just to make sure.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Get a bigger hammer!

Try jumping from a 6-foot or taller ladder. The acceleration should give you the force you need.
                    I was having trouble getting an axle nut off; until the neighbor got me to stand on my breaker bar, then tapped on the end with my five pound sledge hammer until the nut broke loose.

That seemed a lot more effective than trying to jump up and down on the breaker bar; with the sharp tap of the five pound sledge really going to work on the stuck nut, with all my weight keeping the force applied.

The amount of force used with the hammer seemed minimal; compared to the struggles trying to bring enough static weight to bear on the problem.

A little like a poor person's version of an impact wrench. I'm lucky to have a breaker bar; I've seen bed frames used in place of.
                    Last edited by bobstad; 07-27-2012, 04:39 PM.
                    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Man, I hate explaining jokes. This was intended to be humor. Oy.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                      X