cel 09 code 1989 carby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cel 09 code 1989 carby

ok i know its the coolant temp sensor...
    and ive searched and read a ton on the forum....
    but which freaking sensor is it?
    i just spend an hour in napa and advance and its not clear which one i need,
    because there are so many variations listed.

i think its the one on the front right side of the head
    but what does it look like and does anyone know the part # for sure?

round pin.... flat pin? am i even looking at the correct location?
    napa swore this location was for the temp gauge

side note... i swapped a 97 aspire engine (didnt have the intake etc)
    and kept the 89 carb setup but im not sure if i put the aspire or the festiva sensor in this location :"o

please help and thanks

On my 93 the coolant temp sensor is behind the number one cylinder on the intake manifold, on the front by the distributor is the fan switch and the switch for the temperature guage.

Comment

I think it's on the bottom of the intake manifold around the middle area. It's not the ones on the head, they turn on the cooling fan and operate the temperature gauge. The one screwed in the back of the block is the oil sending unit. Hope this helps. Maybe it just got unplugged, don't hear of many of those going bad.

Comment

According to my '89 wiring manual, it screws UP into something behind the motor... something that has coolant running in it.

Comment

The connector has 2 pins with a black wire and a brown/red wire.

Comment

It screws in the bottom of the intake manifold. There's coolant passages in there. Your heater hose hooks up to the intake too.
            Last edited by zoe60; 07-28-2012, 10:19 PM.

Comment

got it! that was exactly it, and the plug was just off a bit. snapped it back in completely... code cleared!

thanks
              -chad

Comment

Cool!

Comment

And people want to know why we want Festivas instead of BMW's , Nissan's, or
                  any other stupid kind of car.
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yeah, I love my Festy. I did just get a new toy though, an '02 Subaru Imprezza WRX. Putting a timing belt & water pump on it now. It's a complicated little beast. Fun as hell to drive. Gotta say, I'll never be stupid enough to sell my good ole Festy. Too many good, practical, well designed things going for it!

Comment

I love working on subbies but the ones I own are parked!
                      So is the gallant turbo AWD and my chevy 4wd's. I make a living
                      on those too. Actually, I can drive anything I want
                      , and I drive Festivas.If the Copart bids get low enough on anything
                      with the TDI, I will drive that. If prices come down on hybrids, I will drive those.
                      But , nothing is even close to our Festiva except the metro and they cannot
                      do work, including trailer towing.

So there you have it, laid out in cold dollars, the Festiva wins only because
                      of superior engineering and an economic advantage. No other car ever produced
                      beats this little wonder car or I would would be using it!!!!
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I agree. My Festiva will still be my main daily driver. The people that make fun of them have obviously never owned one!

Comment

my neighbor took the time to come over and ask me why??? why this (the festiva)??
                          My answer i love it

my other car is a 2006 chrysler 300c

but i prefer the festy when it works
                          lol

its kicking my ass lately... randomly the tach goes spastic and it stalls... and wont start for 10 mins

it acts like its out of time, so im figuring its the disty then it clears and runs fine :-o

i still love her

Comment

I think that may be the ignition control module in the distributor. sometimes they're on ebay for like 58.00. Don't know how good they are. I put in an aftermarket ignition system in mine years ago so I don't have that problem anymore.

Comment

i just bought a msd 6al and blaster2 coil... so i am going to eliminate the ignition from the equation
                              if she gives me even the slightest grief after that... i will put a weber on her
                              =)

Comment

Working...
                              X