Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Gasket

Hey all.
    I have a leaking thermostat gasket.. again.
    I've replaced it three times and they all eventually start leaking.
    I've been using the standard paper gasket with adhesive on one side.
    The last time I replaced it, I used a fine grit sandpaper on both mounting surfaces but this didn't help very much.

Does anyone know of a really good gasket or tips to make a good seal?
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Put a really thin layer on both sides and finger tighten, wait for it to turn rubbery then do the final torque.
    Hodginsa - Photography - Cars, people, everything.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

gaskacinch or threebond
      He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
      1987 F-250 diesel-powered
      1984 Ironhead Chopper
      1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

Originally posted by hodginsa View Post
        Put a really thin layer on both sides and finger tighten, wait for it to turn rubbery then do the final torque.
        And then let the gasket sealer cure overnight before driving it.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Don't fill the system till its completely dry like ^ Tom said.
          Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM.
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Go to Toyota ask the parts counter for some "black F.I.P.G" its their special version of RTV. It is kinda expensive, but out of all the sealants I have used in my career and personal uses, it is hands down the best sealant I have ever used. It is tacky in 15 mins, just enough to put it all back together. Its fully cured in less than an hour. it remains semi flexible, but has really good adhesion. Normally, I normally start adding coolant back in as soon as I get everything tight. Never have any leaks. It's also good for oil, i.e oil pans...
            Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
            93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
            91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
            93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
            15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Is there something wrong with the thermostat? Does it seat properly?
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I tried using the adhesive gaskets twice, both failed. Autozone sells one without adhesive with a rubberized inner lip. I put a thin layer of gasket sealer on both sides, not a drop of trouble since.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

So I use the gasket sealer with the gasket?
                  Im pretty sure my thermostat is seated and oriented properly.
                  ~Austin
                  Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

I never use a gasket with the F.I.P.G.
                    Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                    93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                    91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                    93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                    15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Wow, all excellent advise and good opinions of product. I know you know this but
                      to clarify some details..
                      sand the gasket surface of the housing on a flat surface until you can see that the
                      housing surface is free of pits and is flat.
                      rinse the block and housing with carb cleaner or equivalent, lift the drivers side
                      of the car a little to ensure no coolant seeps out and stains your rinse with cleaner.
                      when dry, this will leave a bondable surface for your choice of sealant. make sure
                      your bolt holes are clean. Wire wheel the bolts and put a little liquid Teflon on them.
                      Silicone is fine too. What ever you use just make sure it says low odor or sensor safe.
                      The only kind I let dry slightly before final torque is the gear box silicone. If a gasket
                      is used I use the sealant only on the inside edge so that part of the gasket is dry,
                      this keeps the gasket from pushing out. A fully coated gasket is like trying to hang
                      on to a salmon and clean it while still at sea!
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

RTV stands for "room temperature vulcanizing"

Comment

Wow! And no one has mentioned anything about 'slipped out of position' thermostats while the installation process is underway.
                          I've used ordinary silicone in squeeze tubes ever since the stuff became common 30 years ago. Haven't used gaskets in many applications for years, unless they come with what ever is being replaced. Hold the thermostat itself in place with a dab of crazy glue or something like it and after applying the silicone barely tighten-on the housing. After curing overnight then get around to tightening the housing properly. Compresses the cured product. Always works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                            And then let the gasket sealer cure overnight before driving it.
                            If it leaks after that, new engine. haha
                            Hodginsa - Photography - Cars, people, everything.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

upholstery adhesive...coat both surfaces and make sure alignment is correct when
                              both coated surfaces touch. They will bond into position. Use a silicone of your
                              choice to make the seal after position of component is secure. Bondable clean
                              surfaces are required.See above to obtain that surface.
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                              X