Festiva rust repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva rust repair

I am finally ready to repair some of the body that has rusted out around the wheel wells. It is not extensive but is big enough to go through and is about 6 inch long. Its about the same on all four sides. Im curious if there is any way to repair this? I am no mechanic but am willing to learn. I did check the salvage yards and most of them have the fenders i need but they are rusted worse than what mine is. I plan after fixing this part to repaint the whole vehicle as well. What color scheme do you believe looks best? I am looking for ideas, I am not into skulls and flames have been done so much it seems kinda standard now. Some one suggested putting a snail on it because of its size. What do you think about other animals?

Grind off the rust (wire brush, sanding disk also good), treat with phosporic acid (several products) to convert remaining iron oxide to iron phosphate (?), patch with (fibre reinforced) resin (polyester, epoxy) or wire mesh or sheet metal or all three, prime, paint. I like to brush on clear polyurethane last of all. Drilling small holes helps resin adhere to metal.

The front fenders can be removed to work on. Also provides access to body under fender.

The rear wheel well has foam inside between the walls which traps moisture.
    The wheel well also has a folded seam which traps water. I fill in with resin.

You can find books on auto body repair at the public library and probably websites and videos on the Internet. Also try a search of this site.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 07-30-2012, 06:31 PM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
    X