HELP Suzuki GN400 (Motorcycle)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP Suzuki GN400 (Motorcycle)

I have a 80' or 81' Suzuki GN400 (I dont remember the year for sure) that ive cleaned out the carb. on and resealed the gas tank.

It was hard to start (It is a kick-start) when we got it and now we cannot start it at all. It will hardly ever turn over and "puff"

I'm just getting irritated at the foolish thing and don't know where to go from here. Im wondering is it possible to put an electric starter on it? I dont know too much about this matter and can not find any helpful info on the internet and i haven't gotten much help for local motorcycle places about this.

If someone could please help me find out if it is possible to put an electric starter on it that would be great! As well as any other help of where to go from here to get it started.
    91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
    Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
    Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Make sure it has fuel getting on the spark plug and a good spark. Strap it on your
    trailer and haul it to the top of the biggest mountain around. Have a buddy follow
    while you coast start.

Most problems with seldom used bikes not on the coast are fuel. On the coast
    corrosion of switch contacts and rust on ground points come into play. E10
    is not a good fuel for seldom or seasonal gas engines.

If your buddy is good with a video camera do not screw up, you will be famous!
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

So your saying i should try using medium or premium grade fuel? Ill also check my ground wires/points as well as rechecking my spark plug. Thanks for the help! ill let you know the news after i try these things

Comment

Take the carb back apart and clean out thoroughly. Remove the air meter plug and then the pilot screw, remove any rubber parts, buy a gallon of carb dip from NAPA, leave the carb in it for aweek with the lid on, shaking it up twice a day.

Take the carb back out of the dip and use a needle jet on compressed air to blow through every port you can find, reassemble, reinstall with pilot screw at 2.5 turns and idle screw so that the throttle plate if held about 3mm open.

Dont install the filter yet, hold your hand completely over the carb after the bowl is full, step on the linker once through the intake stroke of one cylinder. Move the engine almost to the to of compression, then remove your hand and give it a good stomp.

The "choke" on most bikes is actually a fuel enrichment circuit, it doesn't choke anything. Anyway, out should start after that, so you can tune it in from there.

Its important that you kick it through a compression stroke though, or else you're wasting energy in your leg.

Comment

Sometimes I forget that clean out the carb can mean different things to us, Thanks for ^^
          making that clear! If you see corrosion down in little brass parts, sometimes they can
          be saved by using a jewelry ultrasonic if you do not have the big one available like we use.
          After the new piston on my suzuki if I dont do the bump-bump-KICK it can launch you!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Christ I'm a little confused on your 3rd paragraph could you please explain a little more?

Comment

if it starts w/o air filter carb is set too rich ^^^
              I have to ask, you didnt use Kreem on ur tank did u ????
              He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
              1987 F-250 diesel-powered
              1984 Ironhead Chopper
              1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

this may help
                He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
                1987 F-250 diesel-powered
                1984 Ironhead Chopper
                1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

When you kick it over, push the engine through an intake stroke with your hand covering the carb opening. At the bottom of the intake stroke, put the filter on, push the engine til somewhat before TDC, then give it a heck of a thump.

Holding your hand over the carb makes the intake suck in more fuel. Usually once it gets started, you can modulate the throttle to keep it running while you adjust things.

Comment

Ok, i will give this a try tomorrow sometime as well as redoing a ground wire and charging the battery since it was lower than it sould be. Thank you everybody for the help ill post back after i have tryed a few things.

Comment

Working...
                    X