rubber gasket on timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rubber gasket on timing belt

92 L FI 5 speed. my gasket that is in between the cover and the engine by the timing belt is coming out in spots. does anyone know if this will cause problems? i'm worried about stuff getting in there. it's only a small gap but just wondering.
    thanks
    adam

92l efi 240K+ stock

i just replaced my timing bet/etc... mine seems to have gotten oil soaked (?) and it expanded, so taht it was much longer than it needed to be... took some scisors and fixed taht sukka right up. just cut out enough that it would fit in again. of course it doesn't seal real well but doesn't seem all that critical to me... the plastic is also warped on mine. oh well! lol.
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

thanks. i'd noticed it in pics of other festiva engines(stock) so i was hoping it was normal wear and nothing real bad.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

you can always use that blue goo gasket stuff...not sure the name. but its a couple bucks at walmart and makes any kinda gasket you want. easy to do as you have a little groove where the old gasket went. worked for me.
        jay
        90 L FI..second B3
        90 L Parts car
        Jay

Comment

the junkyard has a couple of festys there so i might just go and see how much it would be for me to take whatever i want off of one of them if either is in good shape and has what i need. thanks for all the info. nobody knows the festiva like the people on this site.
          adam

skeeter, do you know where the oil was coming from? thanks.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

Every Festiva I have ever worked on has the same problem. So I'd wager that all the ones in the junk yard will have expanded gaskets as well. I always did what skeeter did, and just cut a small section out so it is the correct size.

Comment

Originally posted by gdawgs
              Every Festiva I have ever worked on has the same problem. So I'd wager that all the ones in the junk yard will have expanded gaskets as well. I always did what skeeter did, and just cut a small section out so it is the correct size.
              I agree same experience here.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

They all have messed up gaskets.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Regards,

Tim
                White '89L auto - Sold!
                Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

front crank seal was bad. i replaced it (thats y i was in there)... all better now
                  you should have a spot on your hood and the inside of the pass fender will also have oil on it if your crank seal is leaking...
                  ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                  91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                  1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                  2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

i have 2 festivas and both have the same problem. i got a cover from the junkyard and it had a good gasket attached which is good because those gaskets cost about $25.00 at the parts store.

Comment

thanks everyone. puts my mind at ease.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

Working...
                      X