Carb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb problems

Hoping someone can help me... I have a 89 Festiva mt that seems possessed at times... going down the road feals like I do not know how to drive a stick with all the jerking which only happens when cruising and will not happen on excel. when engaging the clutch to come to a stop, the motor sounds like My foot is stuck on the floor and it sounds like the thing will blow up unless I either put it back into gear or kill the motor. this does not happen all the time and sometimes it will actually sound like it hits half throttle and then dies back down.

I am not a mechanic, and looking at this carb gives me nightmares with the 1001 vacuum lines and such... any ideas on what can be done other then taking it to a shop? (fixed income) I was told to put another carb on it, but have no idea where to start as far as a year and make to find something that would come close to bolting up to it.

I truely love this car and any help I can get on this would be great and thank you in advance.

pahrens
    Last edited by pahrens; 08-03-2012, 02:23 AM.

Sounds like a stuck secondary. Remove air filter cover and tap down on front half of front bore with chopstick and hammer.

Comment

Spray clean the moving parts until things move freely.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

^^^ He's talking about "carburettor cleaner". Comes in a spray can. Read the instructions on the can. I do mine once a year. Mine's all city driving.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

thank you for the help so far, I will try the cleaner asap and hope for the best. Been reading a ton of posts about swapping out carbs, and since I have always had problems with the one I have, is there a "non feedback carb" that will bolt onto the intake? and if so, what year/make car can this be taken off of? I really do not have the funds to spend a few hundred dollars on an aftermarket carb and it would be great if I can get one from a wrecking yard.

Thanks

Comment

I dont mean to jump in on your post but I also have a 89 carb model. I was driving down the road today and when I pulled up to a red light I push the clutch in and the motor damn near red lined. The only way to get it to stop was to turn it off. Luckly I was only on two blocks form the house. Mine has always idled high on start up but goes away when I pump the gas pedal down a couple of time quickly. The previous owner had the curb rebuilt a couple time already I really love my car. Its getting 41.5 mpg and I love it

Comment

If you are not a mechanic installing a weber may come with some issues. You may be
              able to bolt it on with the usual little adaptions, then have a shop familiar with
              conversions message the conversion and jet / adjust the carb. It likely would be
              cheaper short term to fix what you have.

A car sticking at high idle should be pulled over to safety ,turned off and inspected
              by the driver, it may not act up again for a while. Look for melted throttle cable
              or other causes of a tight throttle cable. Check choke function and insure the
              choke linkage is not holding the throttle open. Check the secondary throttle and
              make sure it is not sticking. Look for hoses off or other vacuum leaks. There
              are more but those are the easy roadside ones. It is good to look at things
              while the car is running right then you can easily spot things not working right.

Comment

If your high idle immediately followed a rare episode of substantial throttle then it is definitely a stuck secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                  If your high idle immediately followed a rare episode of substantial throttle then it is definitely a stuck secondary.
                  :eeeeeek: So we need to "clear the carbon" or "get after it" and not
                  suppress our juvenile urge to "hear that baby sing" just every so often?

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                    :eeeeeek: So we need to "clear the carbon" or "get after it" and not
                    suppress our juvenile urge to "hear that baby sing" just every so often?
                    Better carry a chopstick if you do!

Comment

My 89 carb did the same thing.... An entire can of carb cleaner later. No problems... Magic...

Comment

Working...
                      X