Trying to get my "new" festiva to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get my "new" festiva to start

I recently bought an 89 festiva. It is fuel injected. I eas told by the previous owner that it sat for a bit before I bought it and before its "time out" it was driven infrequently and not far. I paid a mechanic to put a new timing belt and water pump in it and it ran good for a few days albeit with lower than expected gas mileage around 24 mpg. Then it stalled while my wife was driving it and wouldn't start back up. A different mechanic replaced the fuel pump said it drove fine on the test ride and when we went to pick it up it wouldn't start. He then replaced the timing belt again (my wife didn't tell him about it already being replaced) and again it ran fine for a few days and crapped out. I just now replaced the spark plugs and made sure I had fuel and spark. If I try to start it it will start for a few seconds and stall then it will only sputter until it sits for awhile then it will start and stall again. Any suggestions you guys have would be great I'm a motorcycle mechanic not a car mechanic so I know how engines work but I'm new to cars so please keep that in mind when offering suggestions. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help you can give.

Fuel filter? Was it replaced?
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

We need to know if fuel or spark is the issue when it "cuts-out"'
      A can of carb cleaner and a spurt or three down the intake should tell the tale.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I haven't checked the fuel filter, will check it tomorrow. I sprayed starter fluid down the intake with no change kinda sputters but no start.

Comment

water in fuel? check coil might be going out when it gets hot.

Comment

If it starts and runs for a few seconds, I'd check the VAF connection.
            That is exactly what it will do if you loose the VAF connection or the air tub is not properly connected and you are getting unmeasured air in the engine.

That wasn't a long post.
            See a Bobstad post for comparison.
            Last edited by Pu241; 08-05-2012, 06:19 AM.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Sounds like it needs a timing belt. Kidding! I would jump the fuel pump test connector. It is a T shaped black empty plug near the brake booster. Use a paperclip or a sliver of metal bent into a U. This bypasses the VAF fuel pump switch.

Comment

Sounds exactly like what my cars doing. I replaced fuel pump filter broke the vaf nd had to replace. Changed all plugs plug wires cap nd rotor. Have good fuel pressure while it was sputtering nd dying. Swapped ignition switch. Ignition module was ok. Nvr checked the coil. It was 80 for a new one. Inside of the dizzy was clean. When ever it would sputter nd die it leaked oil. Recently saw it bubbling on the back side near the driver side. Thinking it has a vaccum leak thru the head nd manifold. Does urs leak oil?

Comment

I mean fuel pump nd filter

Comment

Check the VAF connector and see if it has it's wire retainer still attached.
                    If wiggles or is loose you've probably found your issue.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                    X