Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help IDing or Locating New A/C hose

Folks,

I am trying to locate a replacement A/C discharge hose for my father's 1992 L M/T without power steering. This is the hose assembly that connects the compressor to the condenser. Keep in mind for further discussion that this is not the "liquid line" (condenser to expansion valve), though it appears that some of the parts data I am referencing may have the terminology confused. Vehicle has previously been converted to R134a and did blow cold until discharge hose developed pinhole rupture.

I have searched here for hours and my vision is starting to cloud from the contradictions in ways to help ID one's system RE: dealer vs factory :-)

To make this easier I took some pics from his car:

(Blurry) shot of right rear corner area, note low side fitting on suction hose:

Closeup of two relays on bracket, indication of dealer add-on system?

Engine side of condenser + receiver drier with pressure switch mounted to it:

Discharge hose out of vehicle -- I NEED A REPLACEMENT FOR THIS HOSE:

Closeup of discharge hose (installed) at compressor, note integral high side fitting:

Closeup of discharge hose (installed) at condenser:

I have run into some contradictory data, but the preponderance of evidence shows this to be a dealer add-on system, given the relay bracket location, compressor is mounted with long "through" bolts rather than short "ear type" bolts, and the condenser has visible coils on the sides rather than metal caps.

I mistakenly ordered this discharge hose from Ford obsolete parts system, part # E9BZ-19835-B or Motorcraft YF-1714:

Assuming one is available I would gladly buy the correct hose (new). I also responded to a recent post by Freshtiva selling the same hose (used) though I suspect it is sold by now.

So, after all the babbling and pics, does anyone know the correct Ford part number for the hose I need? Is this system truly dealer installed as I strongly suspect? Anyone else have the hose I need lying around for sale?

Anyone know for sure whether the new (incorrect) hose pictured is definitely for the factory system, and if so, where did they put the high side fitting on factory systems, was it on the compressor?

Thanks!

???? You are making this an endless project!
    Take the hose assembly to a hose shop and they will crimp
    new hose on your old hose ends. Most better auto parts stores
    can do this...Not AZ or any other franchises. Some Hydraulic
    hose shops can do this too.

Edit: 4 seasons can supply the new end if the pinhole is there
    without the trouble prone 134 conversion fitting, it will have a real
    134 fitting. Possibly cheaper, ID the pin hole and silver solder it.
    Last edited by Movin; 08-05-2012, 08:20 PM.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
      ???? You are making this an endless project!
      Take the hose assembly to a hose shop and they will crimp
      new hose on your old hose ends. Most better auto parts stores
      can do this...Not AZ or any other franchises. Some Hydraulic
      hose shops can do this too.

Three hours is less than endless. A hose repair is my last resort. I haven't had good luck with hose repairs in the past. There's only one reputable hose maker I know of and they're far enough away that I would prefer to install new.

Edit: 4 seasons can supply the new end if the pinhole is there
      without the trouble prone 134 conversion fitting, it will have a real
      134 fitting. Possibly cheaper, ID the pin hole and silver solder it.
      Silver solder the hose rupture? OK :-)

Thanks for the response; I'm still hoping to get some answers to the questions posed.

Comment

Originally posted by qlopp View Post
        :

Closeup of two relays on bracket, indication of dealer add-on system?

Dealer add on IMO. Factory units came with three relays, different tensioner, stone guard to protect compressor, etc.
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
        X