ignition upgrade wiring msd 6al & blaster2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition upgrade wiring msd 6al & blaster2

hey just wondering if anyone has any advice for this upgrade...
    and or the wiring.
    im sure i can figure it out, but i am always open to learn tips and tricks from others.
    -chad

I had a MSD SC for a minute. Super easy install but I was unable to get the tach to work. My cruise control was tach driven so I never even ran it on the road.
    Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

i know someone has to have done this?
      the search is returning no results even though I have two posts mentioning msd and 6al

Comment

I installed an Accel Super coil once and fried the control module in the distributor because I didn't bother installing the inline fuse. Expensive mistake. I had to get another distributor from an 89 Festiva, because I couldn't quickly get just the module.

Comment

Well i called msd for technical help. my vehicle is a 1989 carby.
          a few interesting items;
          1) he stated my distributor MUST be in perfect working order.
          that includes the ignition module and vac advance.
          All wires are to remain connected to the ignition module as in the stock configuration including the small green that connects to a plug that is harnessed just below the distributor.
          Concerning the two wires from the distributor that connect to the coil's (+) and (-) (see below)
          2) the correct wiring for msd unit is as follows...
          a: all the wires currently connected to the red (+) terminal of the stock coil should be connected to the small red wire from the msd 6al box (this wire turns the box "power on").
          b: all the wires currently connected to the (-) terminal of the stock coil should be connected to the white wire from the msd box (this wire provides the "fire" the coil signal)
          c: the heavy red to the positive of the battery (main power for msd 6al)
          d: the heavy black to the negative of the battery or suitable ground connection (main ground for 6al)
          e: small orange wire to positive terminal of blaster2 coil (harnessed with small black wire)
          f: small black wire to negative terminal of blaster2 coil (harnessed with small orange wire)
          g: magnetic pickup on 6al box not used

im not sure im even going to use it (msd ignition setup) since i had to buy a new distributor anyway, as my module was faulty.
          -chad
          Last edited by chadhuskey; 08-07-2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I just did this this weekend. this is the diagram i used

Comment

i was surprised that the stock ignition module was still needed/used
              :-/
              when my distributor arrives (today maybe) im just going to upgrade my coil to an accel super stock ($35).
              im not sure of the benefit (with a stock 1.3 setup) of the msd box?
              i was hoping to replace the stock ignition module.
              -chad

Comment

why would the need for your ignition modual surprise you? the MSD is a dumb box, it still needs to see a timing signal in order to control the coil. all the 6AL does is ramp up the input voltage to the coil and activate a 3x interupt for anything below 3000 rpm. you should replace the coil in either instance.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Looks like u can use the stock distributors pickup with an msd. http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...gnition+module
                  1988 Ford Festixa LX (now fortified with weber)
                  1998 Ford Crown Victoria
                  2010 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS mt6

Comment

Originally posted by Greg91EGT View Post
                    Looks like u can use the stock distributors pickup with an msd. http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...gnition+module
                    Thats EXACTLY what i was thinking :-o

i called msd because the little green wire that runs under the distributor (from the ignition but not to the coil) concerned me.

Lol the tech guy at msd assured me it wouldnt work that way :p

Thanks for the responses

There is a lot of speculation concerning this so its good to hear real examples one way or the other.

-chad

Comment

Let us know how it works, i'm planning to do this when my module dies.
                      1988 Ford Festixa LX (now fortified with weber)
                      1998 Ford Crown Victoria
                      2010 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS mt6

Comment

Glad this was posted! I was thinking about this mod, to do away with the module.
                        This saved me from having to search!

Thanks!
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

i currently run the street fire system from MSD and it works just fine. (dizzy AND modual required for operation).
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                          X