Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG.. brand new clutch... dont know how to replace it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG.. brand new clutch... dont know how to replace it!

I have a 93 Ford Festiva (stick shift, the only way to go) and I SO need help... My name is not Yoda, so I cant exactly lift the vehicle, detach the old clutch, and replace it with a new one...:cry_smile:

Does 'ANYBODY OUT THERE'(c) Pink FLoyd have a schematic sheet, some kind of a video, something, anything to help me do this myself? Everywhere I turn I hear 400, 350, 200 bucks, and the car is so small (like a Hot Wheels LOL) that there is NO WAY it should cost that much... I swear I can remove the engine with one hand!:nono:

Anytakers? Please?

Sincerely, FestivaElyria (ohio)

Cost of parts is not entirely related to weight of goods. Complexity of these parts etc is no different from a monster truck. However the good news for you is a Festy transmission is amongst the lightest in the world. Few people attempt clutch jobs without some sort of manual, instructions or supervision. If you can get the car up in the air (enough for you to comfortably get underneath) that will help as most of what you're doing is down below. The search feature on this site ought to help in finding least expensive, or best quality, parts and providing tips on how to do things.

Comment

Changing a clutch is pretty easy on a festiva, lucky for you I bet there's several members near by who could help you out

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

What part of Ohio are you from? Add your location to your profile, someone might be close enough to help.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

You can make an engine support with a 2 by 4 cut to lay on both fender flanges and a 3/8 threaded hook to grab the driver's side lift loop.

Comment

You've got a couple options really:

Remove the trans.
            Pros:
            No hoist needed
            Trans is 40 lbs
            Easy to line up splines
            Cons:
            Must remove axles
            Must remove crossmember

Remove the engine.
            Pros:
            Easier to remove clutch, pressure plate and flywheel
            Easy to inspect for leaks
            Preps you for an engine swap
            Cons:
            Requires a hoist (or a hulking giant who can deadlift a few hundred pounds)
            Must drain coolant.

Either way you go with it, plan to spend the better part of a weekend to do this, especially if it's your first time. Plan on some time at the machine shop, too. You'll need to have your flywheel resurfaced.

$400 is the going rate just to remove and replace a transmission (nothing else) at the shops here and if you've done it, you'll understand why.

Get a Haynes repair manual at least and read through the procedure a few times before you do anything. It's $20 you'll never regret spending.

Add your location to your profile. There are several members who can help out, but we all need to know how close or far away before committing to anything. Ohio is a big state! By the way, welcome to the forum!

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk.
            91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
            92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
            95 Grand Prix SE DD
            Wife's Stuff:
            89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
            97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
            Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

I'd gladly pay $200 to have someone change a clutch for me, especially if there are stuck axles. that is usually the hardest part.
              89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
              94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
              2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
              1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

With a name like festivaelyria I would say he's in Elyria OH.Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by rickbz28 View Post
                  My thoughts exactly

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

$200 (let's not even be frugal here-$400) to change a clutch? Includes re-surfacing of the flywheel plus all of the bargain-basement-sourced parts. Where do I sign. Cold beer at the beach tastes so much better when I think of all the time that would have been wasted trying to do a job like that myself.
                    Folks do need a reality check once in awhile. And I need to spend more time dreaming about beaches.

Comment

Go to the beach, then do your dreaming, and maybe you need help!!?

Shops all work off of percentages, so do back yarders, and the dollars
                      mentioned might work for some backyarders, but at that rate the light
                      bill wouldn't get paid!!
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

now, hasn't someone on here post up a how-to on removing the transmission? not sure if that's what you want, but I'm sure i saw it on here.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! You'd probably get a lot more notice for this subject if you actually put it in the Repair Help thread.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I went to change the clutch on my car, did the whole "remove the engine" deal instead of removing the trans. Turned out the clutch was good, just the TO bearing was bad. It was a HUGE PITA!!! Getting the engine back over the input shaft, hitting the passenger strut tower, next time I'll remove the tranny.
                            1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                            1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                            1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                            1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                            2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                            2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                            2005 Accord - wife's DD
                            2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by rickbz28 View Post
                              Pure Genius!
                              We are changing your name to Wile E. Coyote!
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X