from auto to stick ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from auto to stick ???

whats involved in switching from auto to a 5 speed ? I have a auto and i got a complete junk parts car thats a stick any advise appreciated what do i do lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm feeling sorry for you so try this:

'93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

You'd think it would be dead simple.
      I had a 93 parts car that was an auto and the superfluous parts and cables and electrical connections that were in it were mindboggling as it was carefully being taken apart. I no longer look at autos as easy-out for swaps for stick shifts.
      On the other hand, attempting to go the other way (manual to auto) is out of the question unless you have more spare time than you know what do do with.
      But the switch to manual is well worth it; you drive the car and it does not drive you!

Comment

Afaik, the auto harness shouldn't be too much different. It is a hydraulically controlled 3 speed and only plugs into the reverse light switch and a neutral safety switch. The starter wires might be in a different spot because of the different starter positions but. Splicing those wires seems like the easier part. Swapping in the pedal assembly and shifter/linkages would be the tougher bit.
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

not enough spare time to waste on doing this change ,,ill stay with my auto and be able to eat food and drive lmao

Comment

You take handful of curly fries out of bag, upshift with them still in your hand. Food doest need to go in mouth immediately. If you are adding sugar packets to hot coffee rip open top, complete turn with it in your hand, then pour on. I know its harder than snapping off heel-and toe everytime but I can. Don't let your appetite ruin a manual transaxle driving experience
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

^ FTW!

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk.
              91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
              92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
              95 Grand Prix SE DD
              Wife's Stuff:
              89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
              97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
              Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

I would keep it an auto unless you rack up lots of miles where mileage would be an issue.

Comment

Everytime food is mentioned and the crapatalk signature comes up, it still makes me laugh.
                  As far as the real deal its going to be hiccup nickle and dime project without 2 cars in house. To source each piece sucks. If your current auto has a good body consider cleaning it up with its interior and flipping it to fund a 5 speed foundation
                  1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

no way im not flipping it , id rather keep it , i saved it from the gettos of detroit and it stays with me lol i dont really mind the automatic at all dont worry its staying automatic lol

Comment

Petition for rescue of the month along with the general FOTM
                      1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

406, Have you ever had the pleasure of driving a stick Festiva? It is worth doing if you have a decent place to do it and the support of this forum. There are a few postings that certainly made it easy for me. The hardest part was popping the axles out of my scrap Festiva. I spent the $$$ and got new axles, seals, clutch and bearings and that made it alot easier to put back together.

Comment

406 said he does have both cars, so its not that bad. The nightmare is having a shopping list, pulling everything, and some parts are worn and or bent, like the 3 pedal assembly. They are flimsy and a car with 205k miles for example has had a lot of pushing on over its life. Having to go back and source things twice is a pain...having to have to do multiple trips to a junkyard in not San Diego type weather is no fun. On the bright side, the 3 speed auto and the 5 speeds have the same ecu and engine harness so it's not a 100% change like you see on later cars and other brand owners who do swaps and must do all of that.

Another angle: I did a b6 swap into a b3 auto and the car was more fun to drive than the tired b3. Right where you'd lose some oomph it holds. Now if you like to turn and rev match downshift etc you'll need that manual trans.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

yep i had 4 stick festivas trust me i have had sticks i still say its not worth all the ness work to rip it out scrap car and then re install it to the auto car like i said eatting is a eaiser task in the auto lmao

Comment

Working...
                            X