A/C Idler pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Idler pulley

I have an '89 Festiva and a '93 Festiva - Both have A/C. Over they 8 or so years I have owned it I cannot get the '93 air conditioner belt to NOT squeal for more than a few months. Recently it has started squealing about 5 days after installing a new belt. I have tried new belts, made sure the screw adjuster was tight and that the idler pulley wasn't damaged & that it is in alignment with the pulley on the compressor. I never have issues with the '89 but that uses a different type of idler pulley adjustment. On the '89 I just turn the center nut on the idler pulley to increase or decrease belt tension. That works much better.

Has anyone changed a Festiva over to using the older style idler system? Can it even be done?

Thanks in advance for the input.
    Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
    Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

When you talk about "older style" does the belt change too? Is one the old single groove v-belt?

Comment

Put a straight edge across the all edges of the crank pulley and A/C pulley first. They should all touch. If not, it's spacer time. The pulleys must line up perpendicular to the crankshaft.

Comment

I use an aspire idler pully, no problems at all.
        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Both the '89 and '93 use the single groove pulley and all pulleys seem to be in alignment when I check with a straight edge.
          Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
          Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

Comment

Does your '93 have the idler arm and no tensioner screw like my late '93? That thing was a disaster. It had to be pried tight while tightening the arm pivot bolt that was difficult to get to. I removed it with the a/c some time ago.

Comment

All Festiva idler pulleys have a tensioner screw since the A/C compressor is fixed and does not pivot. Even the power steering pump bracket has a tensioner screw.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                All Festiva idler pulleys have a tensioner screw since the A/C compressor is fixed and does not pivot. Even the power steering pump bracket has a tensioner screw.
                My '93 had a tensioner pulley mounted to an arm about 5 inches long with no screw to pull the pulley tight. You had to pry it tight while tightening the arm pivot bolt that had the leverage of a 5-inch arm pulling against it. It was like the alternator missing the top bolt. It was always squeaking.

Comment

What is this "POWER STEERING" you speak of? Sounds mythical, and strange...

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                  1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                  1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                  1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                  1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                  1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                  1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Power steering was an option on Festivas in the U.S.A.
                    It had to be ordered with A/C.
                    Most members agree it isn't necessary for such a light car.
                    I have it anyway, because I am doing the "fully loaded" project car.
                    Including, power antenna, power locks and power windows (all from the Kia Pride sister car).

Comment

there are 2 different set ups...there is dealer installed and factory I believe. I think factory has the screw and the dealer installed is the pry type.
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Power steering was an option on Festivas in the U.S.A.
                        It had to be ordered with A/C.
                        Most members agree it isn't necessary for such a light car.
                        I have it anyway, because I am doing the "fully loaded" project car.
                        Including, power antenna, power locks and power windows (all from the Kia Pride sister car).
                        I have a parts car that had power steering, but no A/C
                        -Josh R

Comment

Does the tensioner pulley wobble? I'm not sure about the festy stuff, but aspire pulleys have a sealed bearing in there! Just something else to think about..
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                          X