New distributor, failing to insert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New distributor, failing to insert.

Well, today was a waste of time; with my new distributor failing to go into the motor though the proper replacement part, etc. There is a chamfer opposite the two bolts in slots which hold the distributor onto the motor; suggesting were I to tighten the bolts enough, that the distributor would pop into place.

However, I'm not too confident of that procedure; imagining breaking the aluminum casting which is the base of the distributor...the same piece with the two slots, the bolts to the engine are through. This is beyond annoying, as the old distributor came out easily; which now with the new one, is only prevented from an easy installation by the o-ring that won't slide inside.

I tried pushing while twisting as hard as I could for hours, after greasing both the o-ring and the hole for the distributor in the motor; then also experimented with some shims and a screwdriver, using the Phillips head inside one of the two bolt holes for the distributor cap-to wedge against the battery. The only thing I've not tried since running out of time with a planned excursion, I meant to leave for late in the morning; is using one of two different lube preparations, one for distributor cam lobes and the other an engine assembly lube-also in a tube.

I can't imagine why either of those is going to be better than the red Mobil One grease or the other stuff I've already tried today; so put off giving those a chance after already trying out not only the red Mobil One bearing grease, and some oil including the stuff in the crankcase and some light oil sold by Slick-50 which is supposed to be a multi-purpose super lubricant. I also tried to remove the old o-ring to use that on the new distributor; which in short order disintegrated, as old and fractured all around the circumference.

This seems a flagrant design flaw amongst other things; wherein a more appropriate o-ring would've allowed the distributor to slide inside the motor, easily. One more capitalist hate-crime, against anyone willing to work on their own car; from my point of view. As I miss another performance of the Tiptons Sax Quartet; on this season's west coast tour. [http://www.tiptonssaxquartet.com The yaho redneck next-door neighbors set up bleacher seats, to watch and annoy from; who seem recruited here, especially for the purpose.
    Last edited by bobstad; 08-10-2012, 04:58 PM.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Just changed my distributor oring the other day .. went right in , i just used a little motor oil form in side the distributor hole.
    I just pushed in while slightly rocking in up and down its tight, but if its the right oring should go in.
    Just make sure that the distributor is lined with the slots on the cam ( it will only go in one way).
    But sounds like you were doing every thing right, i also wouldn't try tightening the bolts to pull it in might break something.\

Good luck,,
    Last edited by william; 08-10-2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

new ones take alittle work because they are new and like william said just put a little oil on it and take your time do not force it,went through the same thing many times with different cars including my festiva a few months back old one slide right in new one was a pain but it will go

Comment

Yeah, I did the whole thing correct; and now feel victimized, heavily again.

Originally posted by william View Post
        Just changed my distributor oring the other day .. went right in , i just used a little motor oil form in side the distributor hole.
        I just pushed in while slightly rocking in up and down its tight, but if its the right oring should go in.
        Just make sure that the distributor is lined with the slots on the cam ( it will only go in one way).
        But sounds like you were doing every thing right, i also wouldn't try tightening the bolts to pull it in might break something.\

Good luck,,
        I got the slot lined up correctly; could feel the wiggle go away, then the off-set fall into place. The cap which came with the distributor was a cheapie one, with aluminum contacts; so the feeling of the fix being in here, is strong.

NAPA charged me close to $400 for this adventure; which in no way begins to compensate for the associated losses of being taken from the road, by malign designs of irresponsible creeps. I'm trying to imagine the chances of returning the part now, rather than dealing with further abuse from the same source. Probably any place else here in town will be as bad or worse. O'Reilly's was more expensive: Higher prices than NAPA, really!

I wonder if there is another o-ring choice; which could solve my problems, without having to deal with the typical corruption here? Wish I could come up with appropriate "back at you" type responses; like October of 1917, etc.

Sorry to get into an editorial in the repair forum; though now finding my luck is apparently atypical, makes that seem more reasonable.
        Last edited by bobstad; 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM.

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Yeah, and the Pope smokes rope....

Originally posted by blueoval View Post
          new ones take alittle work because they are new and like william said just put a little oil on it and take your time do not force it,went through the same thing many times with different cars including my festiva a few months back old one slide right in new one was a pain but it will go
          Sure, I believe everything people tell me. This seems like collusion, to force me into paying a shop to do work I'm capable of myself.

An interesting aside; speaking of o-rings, is that a shop in Santa Cruz tried to sell me a Spencer flute; the same place which sold a soprano saxophone to the African American astronaut who went down with that horn in the Challenger, who'd of been the first person to play jazz from outer space.
          Last edited by bobstad; 08-10-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Carnack; and the envelope, please?

Originally posted by bobstad View Post
            This seems like collusion, to force me into paying a shop to do work I'm capable of myself.
            I had a place here do some work recently, changing the water pump, timing belt, and cam & crank oil seals including a new valve cover gasket; who I let get the water pump & valve cover gasket from NAPA, I could've easily done myself had I been thinking.

They want me to believe their price from NAPA is the same I'd of paid; which they added a mark-up on.

The idea is, someone living on a fixed income from SSDI/SSI disability; is somehow, a charitable institution. I guess the place who did my work, must have other customers, with SSA retirement income along with considerable resources; to make such a ploy credible.

Comment

"NAPA charged me close to $400 for this adventure; which in no way begins to compensate for the associated losses of being taken from the road, by malign designs of irresponsible creeps. I'm trying to imagine the chances of returning the part now, rather than dealing with further abuse from the same source. Probably any place else here in town will be as bad or worse. O'Reilly's was more expensive: Higher prices than NAPA, really!"

Have you considered used or rebuilt? They would go in easier? If you get one from an auto wrecker you'll probably have to replace the ignition control module or swap the one from your old distributor. They don't guaranty or give refund on electronics.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Already done that, etc.

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                "Have you considered used or rebuilt? They would go in easier? If you get one from an auto wrecker you'll probably have to replace the ignition control module or swap the one from your old distributor. They don't guaranty or give refund on electronics.
                Whatcom county has only one auto wrecker; due to the environmentalist mentality here. The adjacent counties are nearly the same; so a person has to travel close to a hundred miles or more to find a representative collection of wrecking yards, in Snohomish, King, Pierce or Thurston counties...

The price for an overhauled distributor was only about forty or fifty dollars less than a new one; though for the money, a person expects better than what I was given. Now, I have to imagine an used, overhauled unit; perhaps being superior to the new one I got?

I guess the car being almost twenty-two years old, has something to do with the high expense; though also easy to think I'm being targeted unfairly here, too. With high-tech, the feasibility of a person's being singled out for persecution; is too hard to deny the paranoiac realities of. Though the phenomena likely would be one, even if discernible in any graphic sense other than the symptomatic; portrayed with only economic radii.

Comment

I've seen them sold on this site for $25.

Comment

I have Napa new distributors in both my festys, neither gave any problems on install.
                    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Too bad you didn't have a set of vernier calipers. I would measure the original vs. the replacement for width of slot blades and overall diameters. Sounds to me like there is something out of tolerance. The calipers are one of my most used tools.

Comment

99 cent cheapie accuracy is 100% spot-on!

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                        Too bad you didn't have a set of vernier calipers. I would measure the original vs. the replacement for width of slot blades and overall diameters. Sounds to me like there is something out of tolerance. The calipers are one of my most used tools.
                        Been there, done that; unless somehow my dollar store plastic calipers are to blame, which seems unfeasible? I use these often enough I even considered getting a second pair; now with a second smaller pair for a dollar for both, at the local Goodwill thrift.

Seriously, the very first thing I checked out of the box; before I was concerned the o-ring is at fault.
                        Last edited by bobstad; 08-11-2012, 09:27 AM.

Comment

So the blade that fits into the camshaft slot, is the same size (width and length) as stock?

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                            I've seen them sold on this site for $25.
                            Month ago I posted a query about the accidental discovery of what looked like a mostly-new B3-compatible dizzy on a 93 B6 16 valve at the U-Pull yard. I haven't tried it but $9.99 including cap and rotor certainly didn't deter me from going right back there the next day to grab it. And now that you're relaying the financial misadventures of buying new it does confirm that some things can double the value of a 20 year old car.
                            Perhaps you want to try to tighten a hose clamp over the o-ring of the dizzy overnight or maybe for a shorter spell in the hope the rubber contracts or compresses slightly.
                            In any case, good luck

Comment

Stupid, stupid, stupid, neighbors!

In the hallowed tradition of blaming someone else for one's mistakes, I'm singling out the next door but for the recently vacated place between us, neighbors; for my putting the distributor in with the slotted side upside down.

The way I had the thing did look accurate, even after many, many inspections! Probably my glasses refracting, when they could've fracted a little less? The problem only took me two days of futile struggle, to decide to experiment; likely a fifteen minute obstacle, without these paragons of nonsense beside me as I worked. Sitting in lawn chairs running their patter to distract me, the whole time I worked.*

In this process I also took off the o-ring, to try sanding that down a little; so probably I'll have to get another soon, if there is a leakage problem.

Well, on the other hand I saved myself a long hot/sweaty trip to Portland yesterday; to listen to some music.[http://www.tiptonssaxquartet.com

Nice since a drive I'd of enjoyed at night, mid-winter more-as was the case last December 18th with them at the same venue. I was using water by then with electrical symptoms too, so lucky the car didn't end up broken down there with a busted water pump and bad alternator; is one more bitter seeming scenario.

They are performing this evening in Olympia around eight so I can still get down for that, I'm in the process of deciding against; and as well I have a ticket for tomorrow in Seattle. Probably more than enough, saving some expensive journeys for the feasible price of a new o-ring...if I can find one?

*With greater ambition; I'd go and get a $5/six-pack of tall cans from the Grocery Outlet, to share. Seven-Eleven nearby with Red Box, seems more the pending choice.
                              Last edited by bobstad; 08-11-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X