How do I diagnose a bad turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I diagnose a bad turbo?

Ok so my 323 smokes incredibly bad, I'm suspicious of a bad turbo but I don't know how to properly diagnose it, can someone gives me some tips as to how to go about doing this

Thanks

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Easiest way is to remove the intake and wiggle the compressor blades for excessive play. In and out and up and down. Sometimes if the bearings are really bad you can see wear in the intake side where the blades have contacted the compressor housing. If you see oil you're in bad shape.
    Last edited by turbokid; 08-16-2012, 01:00 PM. Reason: I learned to spell in Utah
    "Its not fast, but its fast for a festiva."

Comment

replace with a new one, if it works then you know
      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

If they're sleeve bearings, there will always be some play when it's not under load and oil pressure. The key is that the turbine shouldn't be able to touch the housing at all.

BB turbos should have no play at all.

Comment

Did you put the oil restriction in the feed line?

Comment

What turbokid explained. Except if your shaft has minimal play then then the turbo is most likely not the source of the oil. They often are blamed for the oil because they are the lowest point and oil collects there.
            My b6t blows oil out the breather into the intake pipe quite rapidly under boost. It will fill the turbo with oil, so I made a baffled catch can with an auto drain. Now the car no longer smokes or consumes oil. My problem is too much ring end gap ( the rings came with too much gap when I was building this engine and I just wanted to put it together.) Worn valve guides and bad valve seals will also cause excessive crankcase pressure.
            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 08-16-2012, 01:32 PM.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I knew about checking for shaft play, that part was obvious lol just didn't know if there was more to it or not

Charlie, what you said you did maybe what I need to do, the PO of this B6T put new rings in it and I have no idea what the end gap is, I may try a catch can.... or KL swap lol

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

You could run a compression test on the motor as well. That would at least tell you how much of a factor the ring seal would be.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Rotary.
                  Last edited by DriverOne; 08-16-2012, 01:47 PM.
                  In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                  There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

My engine shows 170psi across all 4 and runs awesome, but blows oil like Western Texas.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I plan on doing a compression test on it tonight to try and figure out what's going on, depending on the problem, I may pull the motor and opt for something different.... Hence the reason for this thread

Comment

I say a 2JZ swap and call it a day. Hey, you've done harder things.
                        "Its not fast, but its fast for a festiva."

Comment

Lol I don't want to hack up the car, it's supposed to be my daily driver, plus being the rare GT model, it'd be a shame to chop it up

Comment

Check the pcv. I had a b6t smoke like crazy on me and I thought it was a turbo issue but it was just a pcv valve.
                            1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                              My engine shows 170psi across all 4 and runs awesome, but blows oil like Western Texas.
                              Agreed, but in his case, a compression check may show an obvious issue as well. If the PO had the engine apart.....who knows what they did. In the case of my B3, it runs perfect, uses (burns) zero oil and doesn't smoke a bit out the exhaust.....but it will blow the hat off your head when you remove the oil filler cap, LOL. It will fill a 16oz catch can with oil in 100 miles. I'm guessing a broken piston.
                              Last edited by blkfordsedan; 08-16-2012, 02:33 PM.
                              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                              X