Rear brake help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake help.

I know this is silly, but with all of my Festiva's I've NEVER done brake shoes.

Yesterday I could actually hear something clunking in the passenger side rear. I pulled off the drum and everything fell out. 2 of the springs were broken. The square clips fell out on the ground. I ordered up the hardware kit, and some new shoes from Autozone (They will be in today). I was looking in the Haynes manual, and it doesn't show a where the different springs go, or how everything hooks up at all.

Can someone please direct me to a diagram of this? Or even a picture of how yours looks done correctly? I guess if nobody posts, I'll just pull off the other one and do this one in reverse.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
    1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
    1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
    1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

I always do it by taking the drum off on the other side and using it as a reference.

Comment

Somebody? Anybody?

Comment

88FestivaLX just gave you good advice, and the Haynes manual has good pics. I don't see what the problem is here.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

It's a standard setup. My Festiva is the same as my '48 DeSoto was. I'd search the Internet for photos and videos of replacing rear brake shoes.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I too use the other side as a guide. I thought everyone did.
            1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
            1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
            1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
            1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
            2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
            2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
            2005 Accord - wife's DD
            2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I don't understand, the Haynes manual gives you a step-by-step walkthrough for replacing brake shoes. Are you sure you're looking in the right spot?
              #33 Ford Festiva "We Are Not Really From Iran" - 24-Hours of LeMons 3x Trophy Winner & Class B Winner

Comment

Here we go...
                Last edited by TheresGabe; 08-17-2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I'm not replacing the brake shoes... I'm replacing all the springs and retaining clips. The Haynes says take them off, put them back on... THIS is what I was looking for. Good thing I work with big truck mechanics, with access to mechanics guides. If I didn't have this, I would have just done the other side in reverse...

Comment

DO make sure that the park brake actuator/self adjuster is sloppy loose at the pivot pins. it MUST be sloppy loose or the e-brake can hang up or not even activate. doing thiss also helps you from having a crappy brake pedal.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

And also remember that the left axle nut is revered thread.
                      Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

It is a revered thread, we must hold it in great respect. All Hail your left (axle) nut
                        Owner of:
                        1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                        In progress:
                        BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
                          It is a revered thread, we must hold it in great respect. All Hail your left (axle) nut
                          Are you still on the painkillers from the dentistry? Or that other "product" that is mailed to your island?

Edit: Oh wait, it's next Thursday. Must not be the prescription painkillers then.....
                          Last edited by TominMO; 08-17-2012, 09:34 PM.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^This guy.... Anywho, I do recomend getting a second person to help with the little square clips that hold the shoes as they are a pain to deal with. I had to attatch and detatch those clips a few times in about 3 days and by the end of it I couldn't feel the tips of my thumbs for about a week. They is sharp compadre.
                            Owner of:
                            1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                            In progress:
                            BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

^ should only take 2 hands... and a pair of pliers. and if it's hurting you, "yer doin' it wrong"
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X