Cylinder leak test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder leak test

Cylinder # 3 in my '92 has zero comp. I lined up the marks at 3 and 6 (correct?), put air to the spark plug hole with a glove on the exhaust and PCV valve out. PCV checks for bad rings, glove for exhaust valve and glove over TB for intake valve. Exhaust glove inflated. Did I do it right? Started it with exhaust glove still on for giggles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbemE08N5uM

You need to make sure the cam is on the compression stroke for cylinder #3.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
      You need to make sure the cam is on the compression stroke for cylinder #3.
      If firing order is 1-3-4-2 then the next quadrant would be # 3 so the marks should be 90 deg advanced (3 and 6) right?

Comment

No, the cam turns twice as often as the crank, so 6 & 9.
        1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
        1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
        2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
          No, the cam turns twice as often as the crank, so 6 & 9.
          It only turns half as fast.

Comment

If you're not sure just pull the VC off and you will know for sure when both valves are closed by the lobes on the cams. But its been my experience lately that #3 likes burning up valves. Last two motors I've rebuilt have had burnt exh valves on #3.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
              It only turns half as fast.
              LOL!! You're right. Not sure what I was thinking.
              1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
              1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
              1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
              1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
              2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
              2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                If you're not sure just pull the VC off and you will know for sure when both valves are closed by the lobes on the cams. But its been my experience lately that #3 likes burning up valves. Last two motors I've rebuilt have had burnt exh valves on #3.
                Wulfgarthegreat had a burnt number three, and so did mine two weeks ago, prompting my B6 swap. Freaking number three!

==================================================

Beamed to you from an insane asylum in orbit around Saturn via Tapatalk.
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                X