Over Torqued Speedo Cable Screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Torqued Speedo Cable Screw

I was trying to put my speedo cable on at the tranny and I don't think I had it in good enough before I started tightening the screw because there was still a small gap between that tab that sticks on of the cable part and the tranny...I figured as I tightened it down it would get rid of the gap. Sure enough it was working until I guess it wasn't wanting to go down any farther and I torqued the screw past its limits and I heard it snap. Now I can't tighten it anymore and I drove the car around the block and the speedo gauge is working a little bit when I go up hills but not at all when level or going down hill. How the heck am I supposed to get that broken screw out of there...it's hard enough working my crescent back there to tighten the screw!
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

There will be a small gap between the gear and trans. It should stay in place anyway even though it's broken. I've seen multiple that last a long time broken.
    Ford Fester

Comment

That is not good news my friend. The speedo drive typically is a snug fit (thanks to the O ring) and the tab and bolt is mostly only there for insurance. Transmission oil can be lost through a bad seal. At present you may not have achieved the proper mesh with the tranny gear and the speedo gear. Practice pulling it out and pushing it back in until you're satisfied it bottoms out and then maybe smear some silicone or other semi-adhesive around the top of the gear and under the tab to make up for the now-missing bolt.
      Some day when you're redoing the clutch and/or the tranny is out of the car then you can try re-drilling and tapping the bolt hole or trying to get the broken bolt out with an E-Z-Out. Getting at the bolt (if you can get this fixed) is relatively easy if you use multiple extensions on a ratchet/socket set from up above. Same goes for getting your hands in to grab the gear: reach down from above.

Comment

I've actually never seen a bolt strip/break on one without first breaking the tab that the bolt goes through... weird.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Pull the speedo gear out, grab a hold of the screw with vice grips, and turn it out.
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys...yeah I've had trouble getting the speedo gear in there properly. So I just tried tightening it down to force it into place. That was apparently a bad idea!
            -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
            Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
              Pull the speedo gear out, grab a hold of the screw with vice grips, and turn it out.
              Was just thinking this too...as long as it broke at the head of the bolt. Which I think it did cause it was spinning freely.
              -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
              Random Festiva Parts

Comment

First law of engineering: never force anything
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Lesson Learned!
                  -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                  Random Festiva Parts

Comment

And stop using a crescent wrench in confined spaces. Extensions for a 1/4 drive are only a couple bucks, and they'll stop you from rounding fasteners and/or breaking them.

Comment

You gotta twist the gear while pushing down, then twist the tab back in place. Hopefully it was the speedo diven gear that's busted bad and not the one on the differential! They're both made of plastic!
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Uh oh! I sure hope it is the Speedo cable and not the differential. The Speedo does appear to be working but it is bouncing around a lot. Do you think leaving it in there will do more damage?

Good news is after further inspection it appeares it was the snapping of the tab I heard and not the screw!
                        -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                        Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Working...
                        X