Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abnormal brake operation

Hi,
    My 93 Festiva automatic is driven daily by my wife and she told me that sometimes the brake pedal will travel all the way to the floor and the car will not brake/stop but after few breaking action on the pedal (pedal pressings) the brake will come to a normal operation mode. Looks like the car is not safe to drive and I would like to know what can be wrong. I suspect the master cylinder – if anyone can confirm that. Thanks

Check the brake lines as well. I had a cracked line on my S-10 a few years back and it was leaking fluid. Sometimes the pedal dropped to the floor, other times it worked unless I really pumped it.

Car #789
    Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
    1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
    1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
    http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

Try flushing and bleeding then try it in a safe place. If it still does it replace m/c. There 40-something$.

Comment

^ MC
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^^ plus 1 !
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The brakes work by hydraulic pressure on the brake fluid in the system. If air gets into the system there is not enough hydraulic pressure to push the pads against the front rotors or rear drums. You have to get rid of the air. First try to find the leak by looking for wet brake fluid along the metal brake lines under the car and around the wheels, and fix the leak. Then you have to unscrew the valve at the wheel and let the air out and replacement brake fluid in. The brakes have a safety feature, a "combination" valve, on the firewall in the engine compartment which "turns off" one front brake and one rear brake if either is leaking, so the car can stop using the remaining front and rear brake. Consequently if the brakes aren't working it usually means two leaks. The owner's manual recommends inspecting the brake lines for leaks periodically because the valve may have shut one pair down due to a leak and you are vulnerable to a leak in the other pair.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I forgot about the master cyclinder, or pump, which applies the pressure. If it's worn or the brake fulid is low in the reservoir you could also get "abnormal brake operation". The master cyclinder is in the engine copartment in front of the driver. The plastic reservoir sits on top of the master cyclinder. The level of the brake fluid in the reservoir should be at the mark.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
              X