Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto to Manual WONT START

Hi guys,

A friend of mine just swapped a 91 5 speed tranny and motor into his 93 auto festy. Now it wont start.. We have fuel pressure just before the rail, spark and we have done the neutral safety switch and clutch switch. We are just about to check the timing and possibly switch the distributor in case it is the CPS. The motor that we are using ran fine before the swap.. Any tips would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Island D

Does it crank?
    And did you disable/override the mechanism in the steering column of the automatic?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Hi, Its my festi im the one who did the swap. Yes it cranks but won't start. Ive compressed the cable that was in the automatic shift console is that what your talking about? Or should i disable the switch inside the column. I thought it was purely a mechanical key locking mechanism. Ive wired the neutral start switch onto the transmission so it will only crank when the shifter is in neutral.

If anyone has had a similar issue i would really appreciate any insight.

Thanks

I swapped the engine and transmission as complete assembly's. At first i used the harness that was attatched to the engine. But when i tried to start it the dash fuse(meter) 10amp fuse blew. And i inspected the harness and found that there were different wire pin configurations in the harness connectors so i swapped the original automatic cars engine harness back onto the engine. Car no longer blows fuses but still won't start. I removed the ECM and plugged it into my friends festiva and it ran fine with my ECM so i re-installed it and im assuming its good.

Comment

You are one very persistent Festy owner. I only ever took an auto completely apart and decided right then and there never to ever attempt a swap over to manual. Too much junk, cables and extra wires, plus a pedal to graft on.
        All the best to you, and good luck.

Comment

switch your fuel lines ????
          New build on the way .

Comment

It's working now, but the neutral switch in the trans was not designed for carrying cranking amps. I would bypass it.

Comment

Done the same thing

Hi, Island D
              I am trying the same thing putting a manual in place of auto, but i can't get it to turn over. I install a manual trany wire harness in the engine bay, I don't know what wires under dash that goes to the clutch switch, I seen in a previous post
              about override disconnect in steering column (never done that). Boy any help would greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                switch your fuel lines ????
                Thanks alot! it turned out that i had switched the fuel lines after i had swapped the engine in. I probably had about 25+ hours of checking ECM inputs and it just turned out to be that. Luckily my friend island D was over with his festiva and while comparing wiring i noticed the lines were configured differently. Now i just have to finish swapping the interior and im good to go. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by shaffpartsman View Post
                  Hi, Island D
                  I am trying the same thing putting a manual in place of auto, but i can't get it to turn over. I install a manual trany wire harness in the engine bay, I don't know what wires under dash that goes to the clutch switch, I seen in a previous post
                  about override disconnect in steering column (never done that). Boy any help would greatly appreciated.
                  I did the same thing at first because i had a whole donor car. Do not use the engine harness that comes on then donor manual transmission/engine assembly. Use your original cars engine wiring harness. If you have done this the "meter" 10amp fuse in the fuse panel will most likely be blown.

After you have sorted that issue you need to complete the circuit of the neutral safety switch its on your transmission. And also wire your reverse light switch into your harness.

This guy did a really good writeup. Partway down the page it explains how to integrate the harness onto the manual transmission. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X