a/c freon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c freon?

just wondering, what kind of a/c freon do you guys use? i just recently got my a/c going again, and i use a replacement for the original r-12 called freeze-12. when my dad was driving it he put the 134a in it and not long afterwards the compressor locked up. has anyone else had this problem?
    89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
    92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
    New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

I am not familiar with the R-12 replacement but the oil in R-12 systems is not compatible with R-134 unless you have flushed and changed the oil to something R-134 compatible you probably seized up the compressor.

Deems
    1990 Festiva 422,000 mile rust bucket.
    1995 Aspire 5-door

Comment

134a will not work.

You have to replace the compressor, receiver/drier, and all rubber hoses for 134a to work.

R-134a is not as efficient as R12 so it won't cool as well with stock Festiva A/C parts.

Freeze-12 is $5 a can and works fine. I had my A/C blowing at about 28 degrees with this stuff when I fitted my Festiva with air conditioning.

Regards,'

Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

last year i converted mine over to 134 with no problem but i did use the oil charge to lubricate it. i also took all of the old freon out.

Comment

Changed mine over to 134a a couple years ago, got it from AutoZone or Advanced Auto. It said it was safe to swap over, but you may have to drain your system first, I don't remember, but mine was completely out of R12 so I just put it in like the instructions said. I have had no problems
          ~Jeff
          1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
          1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
          2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

Ford has a chart for all models on what needs to be done to convert them from R-12 to R-134. Some years and models need a complete change of oil, hoses, o-rings, compressor or compressor seals and some need a flush and charge and some need the Freon changed only. It is true that R-134 is slightly less efficient than R-12 but R-134 needs a different size orifice to work best. If you install the correct orifice with the change to R-134 it will be 90-95% as efficient as R-12. If you don't change the orifice it will be more like 70-80%.

Deems
            1995 Aspire 5-door

Comment

thanks for the replies. i'll stick with the r-12 replacement. does anyone know if you can get replacment parts for a compressor, or do you have to buy the whole thing? cause i just put a junkyard compressor in and it's now squeaking like a bearing's going out. btw, is there anyone here in or around the memphis area who drives a red festy with a bodykit?
              89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:

Comment

orifice? where is that located?

Comment

Check out this site.
                  97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
                  92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
                  95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by miami man
                    Inside the A/C core box, which is located behind the glovebox.

Regards,

Tim
                    White '89L auto - Sold!
                    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Here: http://www.sherco-auto.com/ac.htm is a place I get a lot of my stuff for A\C work, including orifice tubes.

Deems
                      1995 Aspire 5-door

Comment

Originally posted by Tim
                        Originally posted by miami man
                        Inside the A/C core box, which is located behind the glovebox.

Regards,

Tim

There is another one located right on the drivers seat, but it's only there when you are driving. It sometimes makes strange noises and can sometimes produce offensive smells as well.

Comment

where can you get that "freeze 12" stuff?

Steve

Comment

i get my freeze 12 at carquest. i've called around and they are the only one's who have it. you can probably get it at any carquest parts supplier.

Comment

I put R-12a Duracool for my Festiva it work very good and super cold! even better than R-12 or R-134a.

You can check it out http://www.deepcool.ca/en/auto/produit_e.html for more info.

Comment

Working...
                              X