Timing/Timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing/Timing belt

Ok so I am replacing the timing belt and timing the engine again and its not starting. It's the first time I've tried it so I was mainly going by the service manual. Anyways to the problem. The engine turns over but will not fire. I can hear it firing a couple to times then it just goes back to the starter cranking it.

What I think I did... When I was timing the engine i put the crankshaft sprocket on in the right place, with that little groove and the woodruff right, but the camshaft sprocket lines were in the 3 and 6 o'clock positions instead if the 12 and 3 o'clock positions. So I turned the camshaft by hand untill it lined up with its marks and lined the crankshaft up with it.

Did I screw myself over by moving the camshaft by hand or is that a correct thing to do?

Car #789
    Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
    1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
    1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
    http://www.facebook.com/warally

Crank turns twice for one cam turn, you may have to go around and do it over. Starting over takes the same time as guessing because, speaking for myself im just not lucky
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

It's all lined up in that reguard. What I'm wondering though is if i turn the camshaft sprocket by hand by 3/4 turn without turning the crankshaft to get the cam lined up, is that going to throw the timing off anyways?

Car #789
      Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group

Comment

I was just saying that 90 off on cam can mean opposite stoke on crank. The fire once and not again is fuel mixing on wrong stroke. My 2.3 ford is the worst engine to get timed for initial start, I know this pain well. And as b3 not interference tiring cam every whichway doesn't hurt stuff. There is preload on the timing belt, sometimes you get it right button it all up and its off a tooth. They will run off a tooth so this isn't your issue.
        1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

The littlle notch on the crank gear has to be at the top, or 12 o'clock postion. The cam gear is to have the marks at the 12 o'clock and three o'clock postition, that is one pointing straight up and the other pointing towards the front of the car.

Did you do anything with the distributor?
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

We didnt move the distributor. I think its either that or its not getting gas since its jacked up only in front and probably low. I just wasn't sure if turning the camshaft by hand to line it up was a good idea.

Car #789

Comment

Teehee someone else was doing a head gasket and was out of gas/tilted car
              1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Line the marks up, like Fastivaca said. Turning the gears individually doesnt hurt anything. Crank gear straight up, and cam gear at 12 and 3 oclock positions is it. There are marks on the block to line up the cam gear.

Check for spark/fire at plugs. No spark= icm/disty bad
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

It's easier to turn the crank then the cam! As long as the crank key is straight up and the cam marks are at 12 and 3 it doesn't matter how they got there.

Comment

You've probably checked that when the engine is at top dead centre on the compression stroke the rotor on the distributor is pointed at #1 spark plug wire?
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Ok we have the engine timed, thanks for the help there. Now we have a problem where I've burnt up a wire that was disconnected. It's connected to a harness that includes a red and black wire, and travels into the drivers side fender. I've checked continuity and I believe its a ground to something but I cant figure out what. It seems the starter motor kicks over and it wants to fire, but it's still having issues.

I still have the B3 in there, I know I didn't give a lot of info on it but that's about all i can describe it as. A general mechanic friend of mine said the fuel pump isn't on. I kind of think that its because its tilted back on just front jacks and probably a little low on fuel. Do you guys have any input on why it may not be starting or what that wire by the starter goes to? I'll post pictures of the area when I get the time

Thanks guys!

Car #789

Comment

If you were low on fuel you'd hear what sounded like a hive of bees under the backseat. I think the auto shut-off for Festys is a 'friction-cooked' pump.

Comment

I have a new thought, when I turn the key I am supposed to hear a short whine from the fuel pump, and I don't believe I'm getting that.

Car #789

Comment

Working...
                          X