yellow headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yellow headlights

I know this is not a festiva problem. But my girlfriends car has the yellow haze headlights. I would like to know what others have used to clear this off. How long it lasted. And would you use it again.

Thanks
    David

their are good car kits available for sale that fix this but if you wanna be cheap I hear you can use toothpaste
    2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 (Wifes)
    2002 Ford Excursion (Family Mobile)
    1988 Ford Festiva LX (Mine)

Comment

Yup toothpaste works great.

Comment

$2 turtle wax. Let it sit til it's crusty and then rub like heck! Works great!

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
        1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
        1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
        1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
        1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
        1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
        1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

i use the 3M kit, always looks good and lasts a LONG time and it's easy to do several pairs with one kit.

BUT!!!!, it helps to know what her car is, because that changes the approach and materials used. some lights don;t like being polished because the plastic is too soft, others, have a PITA clearcoat that has to be removes first, others just need the final step of the 3M kit and it looks like new.

lastly, you MUST clean/degrease the lenses before polishing, otherwise you'll push all the dirt/grease into the plastic and it'll look like do-do
          Last edited by FestYboy; 09-16-2012, 08:09 PM.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            i use the 3M kit, always looks good and lasts a LONG time and it's easy to do several pairs with one kit.
            Do you add any coatings for longevity? I've heard those are available as well, and also a film that takes the damage instead of the lens.
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

no coatings, all my experiance with coatings end poorly. just touch up as needed.

as far as the films go, they dont protect against UV and heat damage from the bulb and sun, so the plastic will continue to yellow over time and make the film look like do-do.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

thanks festyboy. the car is 2001 camry.

Comment

ok, you got it easy. degrease the lenses (i use Purple Power, but any heavy duty degreaser should work) then clean them off. you can then either use a kit (recomended) or start with 1500, then up to 2000, then 3000, then a polish like Mequires PlastiX. the kit should be cheaper overall and you shouldn't have to use the first step, unless there are heavy scratches. the second step may not be nessisary either as long as there's no clear coating left on the lense. if you see clear coat, use step 2 and then continue as normal. follow the directions and take your time

Comment

Used regular Crest toothpaste before....makes them smell good too!! lol
                    1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                    1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                    1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                    1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                    1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                    1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                    1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Originally posted by Kraig View Post
                      Used regular Crest toothpaste before....makes them smell good too!! lol
                      Best yet, no more plaque!
                      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I've done the toothpaste, and I've done the turtle wax. You will get double the life of the job with the turtle wax (Though it won't smell as fresh!)

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                        1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                        1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                        1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                        1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                        1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                        1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Yup like FestyBoy said the 3m kit is the Shizzy. I did Dc-9 MD-80's with them when the pilots complained about the scratches on the windscreen. You just dont want to skip the the colors. Otherwise you wont get perfect results. The first time I did one I freaked out & thought I ruined the window. But by the time I was done I was amazed at how clear it looked.
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

i find that in many cases, with JDM headlights, you can skip the yellow pad, and go straight to the white one after the lense is degreased.

Comment

you could just add some auxiliaries and skip the whole redoing the lights...

Car #789
                              Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
                              1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
                              1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
                              http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

Working...
                              X