Driver's Tie Rod Shaft Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's Tie Rod Shaft Play

Having a bit of steering troubles with my 88 L.

I had hoped the LCA to body bolt fix would solve the pulling problem. While it did, substantially, I'm still getting a bit of "wild steering"- most noticeable when decel and accel.

Upon initial inspection:
    CV's and steering boots all look in good shape for 200k.
    1 control arm was replaced. The other control arm looks OK.
    Tie rod ends are shot
    sway bar body bushings shot

*Driver's side sway bar comes really close to plastic in wheel well
    *Driver's side tie rod is loose, causing play in the wheel side-to-side. (~1/4")

Should I consider pulling the rack from a festiva at my local yard, or can I replace the tie rod ends and adjust the tie rod?
    The PO said the transmission was replaced previously. Could this have been reassembled wrong as a result? Passenger side tie rod is very sold with no play.
    If I took it to someone to get it aligned, would this be something they would adjust?

Thanks guys. Trying to get the most out of the new tires, and not feel like I'm driving my own casket.:thumbup:

Edit: Sorry, I'm thinking this sounds like a stupid question now. I have the FSM and Haynes. I see a bushing on the passenger side tie rod, but not driver's. Perhaps there's a bushing on the inner tie rod and the tie rod is replacable? anyway, I could still use some advice, and thanks again for bearing with me.
    Last edited by purg3d; 09-15-2012, 06:40 PM.

Outter tie rod ends are cheap and fairly easy to replace, there's another ball joint on the lower control arms too, if I were you I'd replace them all one thing at a time over the next couple weeks or months, get some moog polyurethane lca/sway bar bushings, and some new front struts would go a long way too, springs also if the car is sagging. all this shouldn't cost you a penny more than 300$ if you take the time to search the forums and learn how 'we' do it. The piece of mind from having a fresh front end suspension for the next 100k will make it all worth it.

*Driver's side sway bar comes really close to plastic in wheel well

That makes me think either your plastic is loose, or your strut is completely busted and your springs are so shot its completely bottomed out while sitting still....which would also cause erratic steering while accelerating or decelerating. Post up some pics of your car lol, I want to see if its a lowrider.
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 09-15-2012, 07:26 PM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by purg3d View Post
      Having a bit of steering troubles with my 88 L.

I had hoped the LCA to body bolt fix would solve the pulling problem. While it did, substantially, I'm still getting a bit of "wild steering"- most noticeable when decel and accel.

sway bar to lca bushings. If they are bad will give that exact effect. pulls one way when you accelerate and the other when you let off.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Most people do NOT know this, but your supposed to tighten the sway bar to lca nut till it bottoms out. Most people just run them tight. Thats why there is a shoulder on the sway bar.

Try tightening the sway bar to lca nuts. 17mm wrench is all you need.
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
          Most people do NOT know this, but your supposed to tighten the sway bar to lca nut till it bottoms out. Most people just run them tight. Thats why there is a shoulder on the sway bar.

Try tightening the sway bar to lca nuts. 17mm wrench is all you need.
          I thought there was a torque value associated with that
          He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
          1987 F-250 diesel-powered
          1984 Ironhead Chopper
          1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

I've been having this same issue bought all new dlz lca's, inner and outer tie rod ends and some new Moog sway bar bushings all for less than $100 the bushings are less then ten bucks per side and they are the best $20 I've spent on my car so far you'll need a couple new cotter pins too the Moog bushings don't come with new ones.
            Doc Browns' other car was a Festiva

Comment

My 91 Festy would pull to the left when I hit the brakes. Problem turned out to be the flexible hose going to the passenger side caliper. I disconnected it from the caliper and no fluid was getting through. Got new ones from
              Rockauto for $12. I had to put in new metal brake lines too because the originals were rusted to the rubber ones. NAPA has complete made up metal lines in different lengths that you can carefully bend with your hands and won't kink.

Comment

did u check your inner tie rod ends to make sure there was no play at the ball going into the rack

ps i was alignment tech for a long time and a lot of people don't think about tire pressure 5 pounds lower on one tire can make a car pull funny
                Last edited by tkannegaard; 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X