Wiring/Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring/Fuel Pump

Alright I'm deciding to start a new thread since my timing issues are resolved, but other issues are now in place. when putting everything back together I accidently hooked up a short. It was with the black and red line to the starter crossed with its own ground from the battery (oops...). So the ground wire pretty much fried itself. Strange thing is the starter motor worked with or without it... anyways I replaced that ground wire with another that travels to the negative battery terminal again.

My issue though is a bit more strange. I did not touch anything with the fuel pump. I took out the battery and starter motor as well as the pulleys to get the timing belt on... When I turn the key I do not hear the "whirring" sound of the fuel pump before I try to start it. The engine turns over but will not fire.

I am supposed to hear the fuel pump send fuel am i right?

Car #789
    Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
    1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
    1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
    http://www.facebook.com/warally

You probably fried a fusable link from the short.

Comment

pump does NOT prime prior to cranking. find your test plug and ground it with the key on, it will run the pump if everything else is good.

also make sure your inertia switch is depressed (left rear in cargo area below speaker).
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The test connector is a T shaped female plug near the brake booster. I use a sliver of copper bent into a U.

Comment

THANK YOU! I'm not a mechanic but I swore I didn't hear the fuel pump ever prime... My other mechanic kept saying that was the issue. Checked the fusable links on the engine, and the inertia switch, they are both fine, I think I just need to get more than 1/4 tank of fuel in it and get it off the front jacks. I'll let you know if this works. Thanks for the input.

Car #789
          Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
          1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
          1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
          http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

I believe the fuel pump relay goes to the VAF on the engine. If the air flows, then it grounds the fuel pump. No air flow, engine not running, pump stops. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

yes, you are correct, also the relay is grounded while cranking via the ignition switch.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
              X