91 Festiva Poor Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WeDefyU View Post
    I checked the dashpot, it works perfect. Next I put a .020" feeler gauge between the throttle mechanism and throttle stop screw, then a .028" feeler gauge, I had continuity on the TL and IDL pins of the TPS with both, and shouldn't have continuity with the .028" feeler gauge, so I adjusted that. Then checked my coolant temp sensor, ohm reading seamed accurate to the low temp here. Then hooked up my dwell/rpm device, shorted the self test input to ground, and adjusted the idle speed. So far, all is well, I drove it about 30 miles last night, and didn't have even a hickup. I'm getting ready to put a few miles on it, I'll keep you updated.
    Sweet!

You were describing symptoms that I encountered a few years ago. Somehow, the screw on my TPS just...disappeared.
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

So far my wife's car is better then the day we got it, with a lot of new/used parts, but still, we get 40+mpg's and have maybe $1000 tied up in hers, $1200 in mine.

Now I'm working on mine though. I tried to adjust my TPS, it just won't, so I ordered a new one. Then I found that my Idle Air Screw is adjusted all the way in. If I back it out any the idle starts raising right away. I'm starting to suspect this motor is an oddball too. I was told it was the 4th motor put in the car. I burn a quart of oil every 700 miles, and the temp sender for the dash gauge was a different thread size then the part for the 1.3L engine, so I drilled it out and tapped it, and installed the sender. Guess I'll get back to my car after installing the new TPS.

Does anyone have any information on the break out box for our cars?
      Josh Z.

Comment

Originally posted by WeDefyU View Post
        Then I found that my Idle Air Screw is adjusted all the way in. If I back it out any the idle starts raising right away. I'm starting to suspect this motor is an oddball too. I was told it was the 4th motor put in the car. I burn a quart of oil every 700 miles, and the temp sender for the dash gauge was a different thread size then the part for the 1.3L engine, so I drilled it out and tapped it, and installed the sender.
        Sounds like the IAC MIGHT be sticking open, that is what we discovered was wrong with mine at Madness, same symptoms.

The early and late motors have a different sized sender.

Comment

Suggesting I take it off and soak it?
          Josh Z.

Comment

You might do ok pouring some mmo down the hose and soaking it that way, or pb blaster

==================================================

Call the authorities, Scitzz has escaped the Insane Asylum again!

Comment

Working...
            X