Vent pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent pipe

A question about the cast in vent pipe sticking up from the top of the valve cover next to the oil cap. On a carbed Festy would it effect the motor to plug this or does it need to be open to something like the carb or a filter of some sort?

That needs to vent or your engine will leak oil out of every seal. You can vent it to atmosphere with a little breather filter, but don't cap it off.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Mine has a rubber hose up to the air filtre where there is a bit of foam screen. I replaced the original foam with some nondescript piece I cut off something. I assume if it isn't vented the pressure under the valve cover would build up and open the PCV valve when it isn't supposed to. Or maybe it's there in case the PCV valve gets stuck closed?
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks. I was concerned that it would be vacuum leak.

Comment

Working...
        X