Strange handling issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange handling issue

Hi all, my festy is trying to kill me, but only on left hand turns.

The problem only happens when i make sloped 90 degree left hand turns at 45+. If the turn meets those criteria, the car will suddenly jerk hard to the inside of the turn and it really feels quite dangerous ( have to counter steer a little bit ). The car turns just fine on right hand turns and almost all left hand turns except the ones described. there's no popping noises or any noises at all when it happens. could this be a problem with my swaybar ? Or maybe the car is just out of alignment ?

Any sound with that? Can you put the front end up on jack stands to look and feel while turning the wheel? You could look for loose or worn parts. You could look at sway bar bushings for wear with the car on the ground.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

0. Inflate your tires, do a tire rotation, and ensure they are aligned and balanced properly.

1. I would definitely check the swaybar retainer bushings and also the rigidity of your wheels when up in the air.

2. Try shaking the wheels in all six directions: in, out, up, down, left, and right. May be some worn steering components. This one is a bit less likely given your speed circumstance.

3. Also try checking that your calipers aren't sticking by cleaning them thoroughly with brake parts cleaner, spinning the hubs with the wheels off, and seeing if they spin freely. Your inside front/rear brake may be sticking at higher speeds.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
        3. Also try checking that your calipers aren't sticking by cleaning them thoroughly with brake parts cleaner, spinning the hubs with the wheels off, and seeing if they spin freely. Your inside front/rear brake may be sticking at higher speeds.
        I think this is where my problem is because i know that the guy i bought it from said that one of the slave cylinders on the left caliper was stuck. I didn't know it could cause it to grab in a turn though. how would i go about fixing it ? new caliper ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fester's Quest View Post
          I think this is where my problem is because i know that the guy i bought it from said that one of the slave cylinders on the left caliper was stuck. I didn't know it could cause it to grab in a turn though. how would i go about fixing it ? new caliper ?
          or a rebuild
          He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
          1987 F-250 diesel-powered
          1984 Ironhead Chopper
          1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post

2. Try shaking the wheels in all six directions: in, out, up, down, left, and right. May be some worn steering components. This one is a bit less likely given your speed circumstance.
            ^This. Do this. I vote for this.^
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

The rubber hose to the right side caliper was plugged on mine and the car would pull to the left when I hit the brakes.

Comment

"I think this is where my problem is because i know that the guy i bought it from said that one of the slave cylinders on the left caliper was stuck. I didn't know it could cause it to grab in a turn though. how would i go about fixing it ? new caliper ? "

If so you could try cleaning and lubricating the pins the brake pads slide on. No need to remove. Can be done on the car. I cut a small strip of sandpaper or emery cloth to go around the pin and pull back and forth to clean. Also squeeze pads manually with a pair of adjustable pliers to make sure they move.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                  ^This. Do this. I vote for this.^
                  Oh, i understand your concern :eeeeeek:. i've replaced 2 wheel bearings and wooooow is that scary when one starts to wobble !!! i can't believe that the only thing holding the rear wheels on is a crimped brass nut, SCARY !!!

Comment

I know that the brake fluid is reeeeally dirty, but i would assume that by changing this, it might be worse ? Thoughts ?

Comment

Bleed your brakes if the stuff is dirty. New fluid won't hurt.
                      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                        Bleed your brakes if the stuff is dirty. New fluid won't hurt.
                        Yes.

However, I am thinking more along the lines that you have a problem in the tie rod ends, or in the steering rack. I had the same problem you described when I needed my steering rack rebuilt. IF you do the test that I voted for, it is easy, and will possibly highlight the problem....
                        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

^ or a bad strut!
                          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                          X