89 timing marks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 timing marks.

Checking out Laurels 89 auto with a no start issue. Fuel to the rail, noid light shows injectors firing, bright white spark, so I am looking at the timing. It has two marks a few degrees apart. When I line the cam to 12 and 3, one lines up on a tab, but not on the "T" on the timing belt cover. If this correct? I haven't lined them like this in a long time!

==================================================

Call the authorities, Scitzz has escaped the Insane Asylum again!
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

It's better to use the keyway when checking the belt timing. An '89 is only supposed to have one pulley mark and it should line up to the T on the scale when the keyway is at 12 o'clock.

Comment

Wasn't an option, but we know the problem now, or at least one, details when I get home...

==================================================

Call the authorities, Scitzz has escaped the Insane Asylum again!

Comment

So, the timing was obviously not lining up. Considering how loose the timing belt seemed to be, I began to suspect the belt had jumped. I have seen it before, but it is rare.

So, in keeping with my policy of diagnose, THEN replace, I decided to set the timing on the belt properly and try to start.

When I went to loosen the belt tensioner, funny thing happened. It tightened up. It would appear the PO, or his/her mechanic had replaced the belt, and left the tensioner pulled off to the side. Sigh.

So, lined it all up, and tried to start it. Rolled it over just a few times, and lined up the timing marks again. in just a couple cranks, it had already jumped 8 degrees. It would seem Laurel needs a new timing belt....

Comment

Laurel needs more than a timing belt, but we'll start with that! With Madness 11 days away going to try to refrain from chocolate =] HA!! TY Paul for driving out last night!!!!
          Driver of the all new CueBall

Wife of JR, driver of 8ball

:angel5:

Comment

am i gonna have to roll in there and fix it? lol
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              am i gonna have to roll in there and fix it? lol
              Jr is supposed to do it this weekend. I suggested...strongly, that they do the leaking seals and the WP at the same time, but money is an issue.

Shoot, I would have done the belt if it hadn't been too late to buy one, but the trip was for diagnosis, ya know?

How serious are you? Between now and Madness, I have two days off. I also have a few bucks to spare. They can cover a timing belt, I can cover the difference for a timing belt set. If you can do the job....too sweet!

Comment

I just spoke to Advance, because I have their number, O'Reilly might be a little cheaper to do seals & belt- $50 plus tax, & WP is $30(??) & I know Barb wants us to get a battery... ouch ouch ouch!! Especially because we arent 100% sure this will fix the 'dying at lights' issue. We SHOULD have a little extra $$ the weekend of Madness, been jocky-ing stuff around just for that weekend. Just keep me posted on what I need to do. 9 days!!!!
                Driver of the all new CueBall

Wife of JR, driver of 8ball

:angel5:

Comment

As much as it pains me to say this, you MIGHT be able to hold off a while on the WP. The price of the seals are only a few quarts of oil though. Since they are leaking, and the person doing the repair will be staring right at them, I would say bite the bullet and do them! I get a good discount from Advance auto, and also sometimes at Oreilly's.

That battery....meh. That size works well for most. If it is reliable, maybe. I know guys running performance engines with MTX are running smaller, lawn mower batteries, but they have chargers, and can always push start their car. With the owner in mind, you, who couldn't push start it on your own even if it was a manual (not knocking you, dear, just looking at the situation,) then you might want to think of a beefier battery in case you leave the lights on, etc....

Comment

i can do the repair, no problem. if i'm in there, i'm doing the seals, there's no debate about that. WP is a good idea, but, not nessisary, and not doing it makes much less of a mess. i will be thoroughly (sp) testing the Alt while i'm there as well.
                    Last edited by FestYboy; 09-26-2012, 03:56 PM.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It is at Laurels right now. It is an auto, so flat towing it to Madness Central is out. I am off Thursday early evening, until Tuesday the following week. She is 30-40 minutes from central, I would be willing to cruise out there with you, and clean parts, hold lights, etc, or I can be tackling the clutch/MC job at central. Your call.

That is if Perry doesn't have it knocked out by then!

Comment

Working...
                      X