Carb guys, question on driveability issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
    Have you checked the choke and accelerator pump function as suggested?
    I am at work currently, so no I have not.
    1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
    1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
    2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

I'm lead to believe its the idle metering circuit but I have no way of figuring out how you clean it out.There has to be some air bleeds for the idle circuit but I cant see any obvious metering holes like a Holly has. These carb suck,I'm sure over time I could learn them. But its a waste of time imo. The reason I seriously doubt its his choke is because the symptom stays after the engine is heated up. And the reason I'm not leaning towards the Accel pump is because he stated when he really revs it up it responds good. Or at least thats what I'm hearing him write But yes it could be a small hole in the accel pump diaphram. So to eliminate that possibility Don.The first thing you should do is look at the Accel pump delivery "just off idle". The minute you tap the throttle off idle you should see the squirter release fuel. (Off course do this with engine off) Carbs are very simple,but they really made this carb a "space shuttle toilet seat". imo
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

does the gas pump itself works? may be low pressure....

Comment

Originally posted by Fordverde View Post
          does the gas pump itself works? may be low pressure....
          Then it wouldn't run well at high rpm correct?
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
            ....but they really made this carb a "space shuttle toilet seat". imo
            ^ Thats funny!

I am leaning towards a bad circuit too. Thats why I asked if it was stock.
            Carbs are simple, the feedback part (sensors and cicuits) of a carb is what I really dont care for.

A Weber is so much more simple. Just you and the jetting.

Good luck!
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
              Then it wouldn't run well at high rpm correct?
              ahhhh that happens when you're up late at night!! hehehehehe

Comment

This has gone from "bucks violently" to "stumbling". "Bucks violently" sounds like an ignition problem (see also "random missing"). "Stumbling" sounds like an air/fuel mixture problem. In addtion to the choke kicking out when the engine warms up, the O2 sensor kicks in when it warms up, and influences air/fuel mixture. Also I wonder if the computer, which regulates air/fuel mixutre, was reset after the carburetor was overhauled. Just for fun I'd try disconnecting the battery to erase the computer's memory sending it back to factory setting and let it rebuild it's memory from new operation, said to take about 20 miles of driving. If it does no good it'll do no harm, and it costs nothing.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                X