Axle Shaft Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Shaft Replacement

Doing lower control arms today my 1990 L Pluss Auto the drivers side Axle Shaft fell apart in my hand. I know normally after removing the nuckle you just tug on the shaft and it pulls straight out. Any thought on how I am going to get the leftover 1/2 of the joint out of the transmission?

Muscle it out! Hey rattory im like 45 min from you if you evet want to meet up!
    ReD 91 L FIRSTiva

92 silver 5spd with some boost! Kratos

Comment

Originally posted by cway1319 View Post
      Muscle it out! Hey rattory im like 45 min from you if you evet want to meet up!
      Muscle it out , hmmmm.. I am hoping that just a small pry bar will pop it out, when I muscle things out I tend to break them. Really do not want to be doing a tranny job also.. New shafts willl not be here till tomorrow so I am done for the day.. Hopefully I get some sunshine tomorrow and Monday so I don't have to walk to work next week..

We should meet up sometime..

Comment

Deffinitly should got a 91,L parts car tranny blew engines good though
        ReD 91 L FIRSTiva

Comment

Holy cow! You must be glad to have decided to have a look at the driveaxles. I don't know what to suggest here about getting hold of what's left but damaging it obviously isn't a concern. Putting a new seal in the tranny case is probably a good idea once you get the busted axle out. Similar and inexpensive item to a bearing seal.
          Thanks for sharing your 'concerns' via pictures. And good Luck!

Comment

You on facebook?
            ReD 91 L FIRSTiva

Comment

One other question.. Will the other end of the shaft just pull out of the hub assembly when I remove the nut or do I need to use a puller?

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by cway1319 View Post
                You on facebook?
                I have an account but never really do anything on it....

Comment

Remove nut and assembly
                  ReD 91 L FIRSTiva

Comment

The piece should be easier to get out than an entire axle because you can pull it straighter. Be sure to save it as a trans plug unless you have to turn it is as a core.

Comment

After you remove the axle nut the shaft can be tapped out of the hub.

As for removing the other end of the shaft from the transmission a combination of pry bar pressure and tapping on the shaft housing with a hammer is a popular method of extraction. There is a circular clip on the end of the shaft inside the transmission which has to be jogged into position to come out.

Don't forget to put a basin underneath to catch the transmissiojn fluid when the shaft comes out.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I would consider draining the trasmission oil first, before tapping and popping the shaft out.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                          I would consider draining the trasmission oil first, before tapping and popping the shaft out.
                          *laughing* Great suggestion for next time... I had a pan sitting beside me to catch the tranny fluid when I pulled the axle shaft out (which poped right out easy). The pan only works when you remember to put it in place before popping out the shaft... 2 quarts of fluid on the hot top added 1/2 hour of pressure washing to the job..

Comment

Originally posted by ratorrey View Post
                            I know normally after removing the nuckle you just tug on the shaft and it pulls straight out.
                            For starters, NEVER tug on the shaft to remove it! You can end up with this same circumstance hitting you!

To remove the shaft, there are almost as many theories on how to do it as there are members here. M3NTAL was the one I think who watched me this weekend remove the axles on a car I did the clutch on at Madness this way. No problems ever with this method, for me at least, and I have done hundreds of axles this way.

I use two long slotted screw drivers, and put one on each side of the axle where it slides into the trans. You are looking to pry away from the trans against the axle as close to 180 degrees apart as you can. It will generally pop right out. Going from just one side, it sometimes happens that the circlip gets jammed into the spider gears, and extreme measures are then needed to extract it. Hopefully, you can do the same for the stub in there.

AdvancedDynamix has also posted that he has used a method that is similar to rowing as he pulls, but I don't recall exactly how he described it, or the thread we were on, but he is someone to trust for advice.
                            Last edited by scitzz; 10-08-2012, 03:26 PM.
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Here is my thread on CV axle removal. It was a giant PITA for me until I got around to using a slide hammer; then it was simple and quick. If you need to use a slide hammer, here is a pic and description of the little "tool" I made to fit onto the slide hammer (post #94):
                              Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
                              Last edited by TominMO; 10-08-2012, 10:28 PM.
                              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X