Tach/speedo issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach/speedo issues

Matt, I drive the same way with my car currently. Speedo cable is kinked so I'm rolling with a speedo app on my phone. Works pretty good!

The photo I saw that reminded me of my own predicament!
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
    Matt, I drive the same way with my car currently. Speedo cable is kinked so I'm rolling with a speedo app on my phone. Works pretty good!

The photo I saw that reminded me of my own predicament!
    http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2a8de826.jpg
    my isn't the cable unfortunately, it is the transmission
    ;
    www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
    rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
    '92 Festiva L M/T
    '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Originally posted by RhodeStiva View Post
      my isn't the cable unfortunately, it is the transmission
      I'm still hoping it's just my cable from trying to install the tach speedo without rerouting the speedo cable. We'll see how that goes.
      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
      Random Festiva Parts

Comment

The way I tested pull cable gear out of tranny. Have someone watch speedo. Then turn get and see if speedo moves. If it doesn't it is the cable if it moves you have the same prob. Then stuck your fingers in the tranny and feel the gear for any cracks.
        ;
        www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
        rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
        '92 Festiva L M/T
        '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

I'm still hoping it's just my cable from trying to install the tach speedo without rerouting the speedo cable. We'll see how that goes.
          Been there done that. Non-tach cable goes through steering column frame. To re-route you have to go beside it. No choice in this matter. Dunno how the LXs did it originally but us non-tach dash guys are stuck with moving the cable over. With flashlight in hand you might just not have to withdraw the cable all the way out of the firewall though. The operation is simple enough but withdrawing the cable enough to head it in another direction is a whole other matter. These push-in 'fishhook' firewall grommets Kia used inevitably break when you try to release them from outside.
          It's kinda nice to see some information on how much the motor is spinning once the tach is in place. Also lets you tailor your fuel economy according to revs.

Comment

The cable has since been rerouted, but it was quite bouncy for awhile and then just quit all together..
            -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
            Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              Been there done that. Non-tach cable goes through steering column frame. To re-route you have to go beside it. No choice in this matter. Dunno how the LXs did it originally but us non-tach dash guys are stuck with moving the cable over. With flashlight in hand you might just not have to withdraw the cable all the way out of the firewall though. The operation is simple enough but withdrawing the cable enough to head it in another direction is a whole other matter. These push-in 'fishhook' firewall grommets Kia used inevitably break when you try to release them from outside.
              It's kinda nice to see some information on how much the motor is spinning once the tach is in place. Also lets you tailor your fuel economy according to revs.
              There is no need to remove the cable at all...just push it back and then run it around the support and pull it into place....takes all of 2 minutes, if that, once you have the speedo out.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

The cable has since been rerouted, but it was quite bouncy for awhile and then just quit all together..

Mine did the exact same thing. It finally gave out this weekend. I pulled the cable out and it had snapped in half. I'm pretty sure it bounced because i didn't reroute when I first installed mine. I just tried a lot of love and bent the end of the cable in the process.
                91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                  There is no need to remove the cable at all...just push it back and then run it around the support and pull it into place....takes all of 2 minutes, if that, once you have the speedo out.
                  The first time around trying to do something is always the tough one. Glad to hear my premonition (about not having to pull the cable out) is correct.

Comment

Yeah, I still have hope it's just the Speedo cable!
                    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                    Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Working...
                    X