Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering has mind of it's own bearings or struts or both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering has mind of it's own bearings or struts or both?

I think I'm having the same problem has ericsmith32' dad

When I drive city speed over bumps, cracks, patches,... the steering has a mind of it's own going left or right, on ramps aren't too bad, off ramps are scary but once it`s on a smooth highway I can go 100 and steering is straight, no problem .

I just got 2 tie-rods and a ball joint replaced, but that didn't solve the steering problem.

Mechanic said car needs front left bearing and both rear bearings, so those are order and will be going in next. I *might* even try to do the rears myself, if it doesn't need too many special tools (from Hayne's a torque wrench is the only tool I don't have) and not too much muscle power removing 16 year old rusty parts.

Can changing the bearing solve the steering problem? I think I had the rears changed when I first got the car 3 years ago and that had improved steering, but at that time it was all over the place all the time.

I half trust my mechanic, his hourly rate is decent and the times look reasonable, but the parts price are ridiculous. How can I tell if the struts need to be changed? and where to buy? I think the car parts places here have a cartel.. Tie-rods $48 each, bushing $120, not sure if Cambodian Tire is any better...
    I will NOT drive a minivan

when was the last time all of your struts were replaced??

jumping up and down on your car is NOT a test for your struts!
    it is a test for monkeys of the grease variety

Comment

when was the last time all of your struts were replaced??
      I would guess never at least not since I've owned it (3 yrs). I bought the car at about 90,000 miles, it now has about 150,000 miles maybe more
      jumping up and down on your car is NOT a test for your struts!
      it is a test for monkeys of the grease variety
      So a grease monkey jumping up and down on my car is THE strut test :munky2: Or do I get one of these to jump on my car :naka: and if it doesn't want to bounce anymore I need new struts

Comment

hmmmmmmmm

you may want to consider replacing them since they are usually good til 30,000 to 40,000 miles :roll:

Comment

I've never had suspension work done on any of my cars which I've kept anywhere from 100,000 kms to 200,000 kms Our festies need suspension work (new struts) every 50,000 kms seems excessive, that's every other year for the average driver.

I'll get the bearing done and look into struts too. Get a second opinion, someone that can physically look at the car, and hopefully I can trust...

If struts are a painful (ie labour intensive) work, then I would consider putting a higher quality in for both longevity and better ride. Are the KYB the way to go?

Comment

new struts make a world of difference

it will be like a new car,
            especially with KYB's

30,000 - 50,000 MILES is different from km's
            1 mile = 1.6 km

Comment

i just replaced my rear struts

they were Monroe Sens-a-trac with less than 30,000 miles

they were beyond totally shot
              the left side, i could of use as a rattle for a big baby