Need instructions replacing front bearings on 89 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need instructions replacing front bearings on 89 Festiva

I'm sure it's been talked about here before, but I want to get this right. This will be the third set of bearings I've put on the car.

Can somebody please post detailed step by step instructions for replacing the front bearings on a 1989 Ford Festiva?

What do the "spacers" look like and where can I get some? How do I "preload" the bearings?

Any special tools needed? Any tricks or techniques?

i would like to know too!

Comment

Jack up the car. Place a good set of jack stands under car. Remove tires.
      Find the indention on the nut that lock the nut in place and bend it back up. Remove the nut and washer if equipped. Now check to see if the drive axle can be pushed back in the hub, if not get a plastic dead blow hammer and tap the end of the drive axle with the nut loosely on it so you don't mess up the threads. Once the drive axle is loose but not all the way out,
      Remove brake caliper, suspend it with mechanics wire off of the strut springs. Take the outer tie rod end loose from hub. Remove pinch bolt from lower hub. Take the two bolts out of the strut that hold the upper side of the hub in place, and pry apart. wiggle the hub up off of the ball joint. Now for the hard stuff. Take the hubs to your local ford dealer and have them to press your hub apart, if you need new brakes this is the time to do them and replace rotor. Four new bearing and four new grease seals cost me $135.00, new rotors were $17.00 each, Labor from ford was 2.2 hours at $70.00/hr. I go to ford in the morning and pick them up. Bearing pre-load is taken care of...
      Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways totally worn out, shouting...holy sh!t FESTIVA!!!!!!!

Comment

i think they are looking to go the cheap route

and replacing their bearings every 10,000 miles

you know THE CHEAP ROUTE!

Comment

Originally posted by DontFearTheReaper
          Jack up the car. Place a good set of jack stands under car. Remove tires.
          Find the indention on the nut that lock the nut in place and bend it back up. Remove the nut and washer if equipped. Now check to see if the drive axle can be pushed back in the hub, if not get a plastic dead blow hammer and tap the end of the drive axle with the nut loosely on it so you don't mess up the threads. Once the drive axle is loose but not all the way out,
          Remove brake caliper, suspend it with mechanics wire off of the strut springs. Take the outer tie rod end loose from hub. Remove pinch bolt from lower hub. Take the two bolts out of the strut that hold the upper side of the hub in place, and pry apart. wiggle the hub up off of the ball joint. Now for the hard stuff. Take the hubs to your local ford dealer and have them to press your hub apart, if you need new brakes this is the time to do them and replace rotor. Four new bearing and four new grease seals cost me $135.00, new rotors were $17.00 each, Labor from ford was 2.2 hours at $70.00/hr. I go to ford in the morning and pick them up. Bearing pre-load is taken care of...

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X