Pad Retainer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pad Retainer Question

I've R and R'd pads numerous times but have never been confident that the vertical clip won't pull out of the bottom pin. On my DD yesterday I could pull it right out and it would stay out...no spring pressure holding it in. My son fiddled with it and hooked the bottom part of the anti rattle spring around it which made it sit crooked. Later I checked my 2 manuals and it is not that way. I don't see what holds the vertical pin in place. My new caliper for my protege came with individual hitch type clips. I might convert my 2 cars to those.

virtical pin...? all the variations i've ever seen link the upper and lower pins via a common rod that positions the holes along the circumferance of the rotor so that the rod can't be removed on it's own.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The picture you posted to the thread I found on the search looks different from all of mine. Mine have a 90 degree bend at each end that goes into the pin holes and the anti-rattle spring is supposed to hold the 2 ends in the 2 holes but does not very well if at all.

Comment

yeah, if you take those 90* bends and rotate them to straighten out once inserted in the pins, the length and tention will retain the rod easily.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I think I see what I did wrong. Looking at my Protege manual (I guess I have 3) it looks like I put the M-shaped clip in backwards. I'll check it tomorrow. None of my manuals say anything about straightening the bends.

Comment

No matter how many diagrams I look at, no matter how many explanations I read I can never get those pins and rods together correctly. I've actually thought about tapping the inboard holes and making some threaded pins so I don't have to deal with it.

Comment

After replacing my pads I was getting noise and heat which I thought was bearings as I did them too. I had to take the car into a shop for adivce and he said I put the pad retaining springs (?) on backwards. He put them on right and the problem went away.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I think I figgered out what the deal was with the so-called pad retainer. It needs to be bent into a hook if it's not already. Mine was a right angle and slipped right in the hole and subsequently could slip right out. The M-shaped spreader wire does not hold the retainer wire in the holes like I thought. It's kind of a hokey setup...if the pin backed out and went into the rim it could get ugly!

Comment

Working...
                X