Possible big problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible big problem

Ok so my speedo quit working got a new cable and a drive gear. Going to change them and I pull the drive gear assy out. There is no gear on the end of it. It looks like the pin that cable slides into broke. So now the gear itself is still in the tranny. Has this happened to anyone else and how do I get that gear out ? I really hope this isn't a tear apart the transmission type of deal.
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Can you not simply use a long screw to cut into the center of the nylon gear and then pull it out? Or, how about needle nose pliers?
    Last edited by bravekozak; 10-20-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Depending on how stuck it is a length of bent wire might do.
      If you need a photo do a search of this site.
      I've seen photos posted here.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I got it guys I stuck my finger down in there and I could feel it. The pin was still in the gear so I was able to stick a magnetic bolt picker upper down in there and lift it out.
        1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Comment

sweet
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You got lucky. That happened to me and I could not find it. So thinking it being just plastic I tried driving the car and it got caught under the shift levers and poked a hole in bottom of tranny. I pulled on it and it came out but made hole bigger. I cleaned bottom of tranny out real good, got a piece of aluminum and jb welded the aluminum piece to tranny and hasn't leaked since. I got lucky on that one.
            Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
            93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
            X