Crunch/Grinding noise please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crunch/Grinding noise please help!

I haven't been able to really get down and dirty to look at it yet, and my dad is sick right now. I would love to have the problem figured out, so by the time my dad is better I know what we have to do (or I, if I dare do it myself).

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu5F1Oq6usw&feature

In the video, it only makes the noise in neutral. However, when driving it around it still makes the noise while driving.
    A little note is that when it was crunching I didn't even have the clutch fully released, it was only about half way.

Does anybody know how I can fix this problem?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Flw Sock; 10-21-2012, 07:46 PM.

ok watched the vid, does it do it with the clutch pedal all the way out in any gear or just nutral? it soulds like as soon as you add pressure to the clutch pedal, you loose the noise which indicates that you have a TO bearing issue... but they're usually not that loud. in either case, the trans has to be removed for inspection of the clutch area/bell housing.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It only did it in the video in neutral, but not while the clutch was TOTALLY down, but when I start to bring the pedal back up a little bit it does, so it's getting there.

It didn't do it in the video, but while driving it around town and stuff it still makes the noise while driving. It's not as bad as when it's still, but it's there.

EDIT:
      I went and watched some YouTube videos of throw out bearing noises, and it doesn't sound the same. It doesn't sound like a knocking noise, it sounds like a crunching noise or grinding.
      Last edited by Flw Sock; 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

that's what i'm getting at, does it happen with the pedal all the way out in ear while driving? or does the pedal need some pressure applied for the noise to show up? i'm still of the opinion that it's a clutch assm issue which requires you pulling the trans. i wouldn't be surprised if you find a loose bolt in the bell housing.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

If you put the clutch all the way down the noise stops, the more you release it (bring the pedal up to resting position) the more noise it makes.

Is pulling the trans hard? I've always feared tranny and engine work.

Does this mean my tranny is on the way out, or is it just something that I have to replace?
          Last edited by Flw Sock; 10-21-2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

X2 on pulling the trans. It isn't the hardest job in the world, takes some tools and effort. I poked around at the last Madness and did a clutch in what, 4 or 5 hours? If you have never done one, it should be a weekend project. Having someone who knows how to do it on call is a good idea.
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              ...i'm still of the opinion that it's a clutch assm issue which requires you pulling the trans. i wouldn't be surprised if you find a loose bolt in the bell housing.
              I agree with this ^ Generally the T.O. bearing is what goes out but It could be something coming apart, like a bolt has come out of either the pressure plate or the flywheel itself. You letting the clutch grab/clamp the flywheel is also letting the clutch grab/clamp what is probably a loose flywheel bolt.
              Was someone in there recently for service that you're aware of, or did you just recently get this car (like earlier this year) and are unaware of it's clutch replacement history?

By the way, you're talking as if this is a manual trans car, I notice in the video you weren't working the clutch with your left foot to move the car forward or backward after you put it in gear...you were using your right foot on the clutch, it's not an automatic right?
              Last edited by iceracerdude; 10-22-2012, 08:08 AM.
              97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
              CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
              Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

It's a 5spd. I don't know why I was using my right foot.

I haven't done anything with the trabsmission, but when I bought it about 7months ago the owner said he just had the Tranny rebuilt about 1k miles ago.
                Last edited by Flw Sock; 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM.

Comment

pulling the trans should take less than 45 min when you get comfortable, but first time around should take twice that. you need the basics: 10, 12, 14, 17, 29mm sockets, 3 and 6" extentions, a good jack with stands, drain pan, a large hammer and long and short pry bars.

drain some of the rad and pinch the upper hose once it's removed from the rad. disconnect the battery. jack up both sides of the car and support with stands, remove the jack to be used later. remove the driver side wheel. remove BOTH of the axle nuts. remove the lower ball joint pinch bolt. with the long pry bar, slip it between the top of the sway bar and bottom of the LCA (at the frame bolt) and pry down (you may need to use the hammer to jar it loose: hitting at the sway bar forward of the LCA). once the knuckle is loose, push the axle through the hub. swing the knuckle out of the way and tie it back. drain the trans. while you're waiting for the trans to finish, hop up top and remove the trans ground, switch connectors, starter wiring (anything connected to the trans). remove the starter and clutch cable assem. remove the speedo cable. REMOVE THE COOLENT TUBE BRACKET at the starter.

back under the car: remove the 2-4 10mm bolts holding the dust plate to the trans. with the smaller pry bar, pop the driver axle loose. remove the 3 mount nuts (one rear, 2 front). with the jack support the end of the trans and remove the crossmember. slowly lower the trans untill the engine rests on the passenger frame rail. now you're ready to remove the last few bolts that attach the trans and engine (4 17mm and a couple 14mm bolts) the trans should stay attached to the engine once everything is out. from up top, grab the starter loop in the trans and wiggle it all free. have someone help you with the passenger side axle by pushing it through the hub.

the trans is out, are we having fun yet?

Comment

It's just that easy ^ ha, ha, ha
                    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Does this mean my tranny is starting to leave me? Or is it just something that happens?

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                        It's just that easy ^ ha, ha, ha
                        yeah, it really is! i can pull one in the JY in under 40 min by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Flw Sock View Post
                          Does this mean my tranny is starting to leave me? Or is it just something that happens?
                          means the clutch failed, that's all

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            yeah, it really is! i can pull one in the JY in under 40 min by myself.
                            Just imagine what you could do out here Arty! Nice clean corrosion free bolts.... I like to tease.
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

yeah i know you do lol. really in that case i might be able to break the 30 min mark, but thinking about it now i wonder if i could break 20.... hmmm

....challenge accepted

Comment

Working...
                              X