No announcement yet.

passenger front wheel bearings shot!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• passenger front wheel bearings shot!!!!

well my wheel bearings on my passenger front was making noise, so i bought new bearings put them in at home and it was getting dark and i forgot the spacer this sucks. now i don't feel like pulling it apart again it took my 4 hours just to get the bearings off to start with. i am done for the day and tomorrow i am just going to buy the knuckle and everything together at the PnP. and the lower bolt broke to on top of everything. I GIVE UP!!
    ;
    www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
    rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
    '92 Festiva L M/T
    '93 Festiva GL A/T

The bearing spacer does not come with the new bearings, if that's any consolation; you're supposed to re-use the old one (If there's grind or slop when you're done it's time to visit Kia to purchase one or more of their 22 choices of different spacers). But if you're not installing the outer races with a press or other specific pressure rig then be prepared to have a go at the bearings again soon. Festys are by and large well designed and simple but not the front bearing arrangement and 10 year old Kia Rios are going to the boneyard by the sackful around here right now only because Kia carried on with that wonderful engineering design. Today's auto techs are less and less capable of dealing with repairing or adjusting things than they are with outright replacing them.
    It would be nice to hear that an aftermarket sealed front hub bearing cartridge/unit was available. Colleague of mine has a 15 year old Audi A-something or other which is a nightmare to work on except that the front hubs have cartridge slide-in bearings that are really quick to re-new, and require no magic touch or special experience except for ability to use wrenches and the knowledge to turn clockwise to tighten nuts.

Comment

I was just wondering how you replaced your front bearings? Do you have a press?

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
      1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
      1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
      1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
      1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
      1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
      1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Redneck press
        -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

No press needed to perform the bearing repair if you have the proper (not right ) items to help you do the job. I have some video footage that we took at Madness when Arty did my front bearings. I will have to get the vids uploaded.

Bert...I believe he just forgot to put the spacer back in during his reassembly process. I hope he only forgot the one and didn't mix them up.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
            No press needed to perform the bearing repair if you have the proper (not right ) items to help you do the job. I have some video footage that we took at Madness when Arty did my front bearings. I will have to get the vids uploaded.

Bert...I believe he just forgot to put the spacer back in during his reassembly process. I hope he only forgot the one and didn't mix them up.
            You mean when we also made this video????

Matt, knock it apart, and put the spacer in. ASAP.

If you give up and go to pick and pull, since you are loaded up in the money bags, why not just pick up an aspire swap????
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

They have no aspire anymore.
              ;
              rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
              '92 Festiva L M/T
              '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

And I didn't use the press I used the car as a press
                ;
                rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                '92 Festiva L M/T
                '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Originally posted by RhodeStiva View Post
                  And I didn't use the press I used the car as a press
                  A hammer will do

Comment

Originally posted by TheresGabe View Post
                    I was just wondering how you replaced your front bearings? Do you have a press?
                    After two misfortunate attempts at doing front wheel bearings myself (they only lasted 1000 km each time) I now go to my local garage with a couple of six-packs of beer in hand and let them press in the races. They have correct templates (or whatever you call them) and a good press. They're happy, and I'm happy.

Comment

Re: passenger front wheel bearings shot!!!!

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                      After two misfortunate attempts at doing front wheel bearings myself (they only lasted 1000 km each time) I now go to my local garage with a couple of six-packs of beer in hand and let them press in the races. They have correct templates (or whatever you call them) and a good press. They're happy, and I'm happy.
                      I think I might start selling assembled hubs on here...

==================================================

Call the authorities, Scitzz has escaped the Insane Asylum again!

Comment

So I took it back off today. Wasn't as bad as taking old ones off. It feels and sounds so much better now.
                        ;
                        rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                        '92 Festiva L M/T
                        '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Originally posted by RhodeStiva View Post
                          So I took it back off today. Wasn't as bad as taking old ones off. It feels and sounds so much better now.
                          Didja put the spacer back in, or didja get used hubs?

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                            I think I might start selling assembled hubs on here...
                            !
                            Really wouldn't be a bad idea... I'm going to have to get a junkyard set and do everything on them, as I can't put my DD down for a day. (Or risk messing it up with no JY support)

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                            1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                            1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                            1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                            1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                            1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                            1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

[QUOTE=scitzz;552627]I think I might start selling assembled hubs on here...QUOTE]

Aside from the 'weighty' freight charges you might just have a very good idea there. Do you think your work will go maintenance-free for 60,000 miles? Nice thing about Aspire hubs is, once they're in place, replacing rotors does not involve taking hubs off like on a Festy. How many folks cringe at the (ought to be simple) prospect of changing Festy rotors?

Comment

Working...
                              X