X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't start!

My 89 Festiva LX, suddenly won't start. Here's the scenario:
    Had a new battery installed in May.
    Was running on Wednesday. On Saturday, it wouldn't start - no power to anything, no dash lights, no clicks, dead.
    Next day - getting dash lights and a single click when turning ignition.
    Hooked up jumper cables - everything dead, no dash lights, no clicks.
    Adjusted jumper cables - still dead, but occasionally noticed arcing near the battery when I turned the key.
    Once, with the jumper cables attached, the lights came on and the starter turned over once, then dead again.

Replaced fusible links with new fuses - still dead
    Cleaned battery terminals and fuse contacts - getting dash lights and clicks on ignition - jumper cable is arcing on the positive terminal.

Video of most recent attempt is posted below. I can see corrosion under the battery cable insulation - thinking I need to disconnect and clean the cable end. Any other ideas?

either new cable or at least new ends. You are not getting a good connection at all. There should not be any arcing going on. Looks like maybe those were replacement ends already. Need to make a real connection.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

They are replacement ends - the originals were toast. There was a lot of corrosion on the old battery terminals and corrosion inside the cable. I had Advance replace the battery and connectors. Hoping I can just clean the ends and not have to replace the cable. Will try that tomorrow. Thanks!

Comment

yes, required current to crank car isn't being able to get to the starter due to some resistance in the cable OR lack of voltage to push the current. anything over half an ohm (0.5) will keep things from happening. also make sure the fuleable link tabs are REALLY clean.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Make Sure the red and black coating on the cable ends is 100% cleaned OFF where the cable touches or you will not get a good connection.
          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Around here it is not uncommon to discover the ground (negative) cable is entirely corroded away inside. Try running a booster cable to ground (ie to engine block or chassis) in place of the battery ground system that's on the car at the moment. If she fires right up you'll then know where to start looking/cleaning/replacing.

Comment

Those universal cable ends need to be cleaned and reattached to the cables every few years.

Comment

She's alive! Thanks for the assistance. It was the positive cable end. It was really nasty - green corrosion, looks like it goes up into the cable under the insulation. I cleaned it and the cable end the best I could, reconnected the cable end and it started right away, no jump needed. I wonder though, how long will it be before the cable corrodes away under the insulation - should I consider replacing it now?

Comment

I would get some OEM cables at a junkyard. I never liked those universal ends. If you solder the strands together it might prevent corrosion better.

Comment

"Corrosion on automobile batteries is a naturally occurring process, caused by the sulfuric acid used in the batteries. When the battery is in use, the sulfuric acid releases small amounts of hydrogen gas, which combine with dirt, dust and oil in the car and cause corrosion, particularly on the metal parts of a battery. If too much corrosion builds up on the battery terminals or battery cables, the car may have problems starting. Cleaning and coating the terminals and cables at least every six months can help prevent corrosion from forming."

I am willing to bet the corrosion was from your previous battery. If you don't want any corrosion, then switch to an expensive battery without sulphuric acid.

Comment

Working...
                    X