X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb fuel tank conversion to fuel injection

When I bought my 90 Festiva ten years or so ago I got it for 171 bucks
    from an auction. It had gone offroading by accident when the bill collector
    driving it failed to negotiate a sharp turn in the scab rock flats. He and the
    car were both eventually rescued while staying out of sight of his pursuer.
    The car was still nice top side but the under side was not so pretty. One of the things I have lived with all these years was a 7.2 gallon fuel tank and
    and several fuel tank patches that I fretted over while a hundred miles out
    in the desert listening to sage brush rubbing the under side while driving these barely recognizable old trails. I just knew my luck would run out some day.
    With Elk season coming I have been looking for one close by with no
    luck. I found 3 like new carby fuel tanks but no injected ones. The week
    before the hunt a patch broke loose and I started leaving fuel trails around town. Desperate, and with no time to order one I picked up a perfect rust free carby tank and sender to attempt a repair.
    With the hunt started I pulled my axle and tied it off to my trailer hitch
    to allow access to the tank. With both tanks on the bench I planned a conversion.
    Some body is probably going to want a picture but my camera is my phone and when it went through a running power stroke radiator fan ,
    hit the floor and shot across 3 bays the micro chip won't stay in anymore
    even though it and the camera still work...so no pics except what I can drag up here to the computer and let the face cam take one. Sorry !!!

After some measuring and wondering how JB quick weld would seal wires I decided against that and made a template to draw the bolt pattern on to fuel injection hanger. This pic also shows how nice a 1990 jeep cherokee fuel pump fits in place of the little tiny stocker!

The fuel pump hanger and the sender mount will both have to be trimmed
    back to the spot weld and screw hole so that the bigger fuel injection hanger can fit in the carby hole. The surface needs to be protected while
    die-grinding these pieces so that the new gasket surface will seal.

Do you see the top hole with the carby gasket held in place ? The carby gasket will be about 30 degrees from square to fit all the injected stuff in its hole with the parts trimmed as above. The reason for this pic is to show the orientation of the pump and gasket. That upper hole has to be used
    as the pilot so that the nipple and wiring will be pointing in the correct direction.

Some of the dual pattern holes. When drilling new holes keep shavings away from the sock and motor assembly. Smooth the holes so that the
    gasket will lay flat.

I have never noticed that the original pump hanger assembly is actually
    Mazda!! Crazy, and probably 1/4 the price..

Here is a better shot showing the dual pattern on the injection hanger assembly. This will now mount in the carby tank with correct wiring connector, correct fuel nipple and point correctly.

There are two 8mm nipples on the fuel injection tank that are 6mm on the carb tank. Some 1/4 inch fuel hose will make the stretch on one end and fit perfect on the other end. All else fits perfect!!

I should mention that injection tanks have roll-over splash-back valves and that the carby tanks do not. For those planning these type of activities
    they may desire this feature..for me simpler is better.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Re: Carb fuel tank conversion to fuel injection

Awesome!
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
    X