Festy chatters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festy chatters

I have a 1991 Festiva with automatic tranny. When I first start out, it "chatters" but once I get going it goes away. Also, if I start it in 2nd it doesn't do it. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

It would be really nice if your problem was driveaxle related (ie worn out CV joints) VS something wrong with the transmission.

Comment

Is it a trans-like chatter, or is it a low idle stutter?

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
      1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
      1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
      1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
      1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
      1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
      1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

It's a trans-like chatter.

Comment

Festy chatters

Check your fluid level
          -Zack
          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Fluid level is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemyfesty View Post
              I have a 1991 Festiva with automatic tranny. When I first start out, it "chatters" but once I get going it goes away. Also, if I start it in 2nd it doesn't do it. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.
              does it feel like it's running very sluggish when the clicking noise takes place? If so i had a very similar problem on my 91(manual though), it went on for about three weeks and at a certain rpm it would make a clicking noise then it would go away. when the clicking occurred it felt very slow as if the timing was off. So after i decided to look into it i found that the timing gear on the crank shaft was actually stripping out the slot for the keyway on the crank, thus when it was running the timing was constantly changing(causing it to be sluggish) and what was left of the keyway was hitting back and forth on either side of the the oblonged slot in the crank shaft creating the chattering noise.
              Just a thought, could have nothing to do with the motor but just an issue we've seen twice in the past.

Hope this helps

-Josh & Jake
              -1991 L 238k AC/Cruise Josh's future DD from neanderpaul, the clean slate!

-1991 GL 171k AC/Rust free Jake's future DD (thanks kevin!)

-1993 L B6T swapped auto(thanks rob!) 88k was 123whp 15.8 at 87mph currently undergoing surgery

-1989 LX crazy project car you'll all see one day! (hopefully fm8 )

Have one hydro g and xr2 mid shaft for sale super cheap! PM me!

we have owned 10 of these cars to date and we're only 20 hahah.. call it an obsession!

Comment

Festy autos are quirky. You can change the fluid and adjust the cable, but not much else. Live with it!

Comment

Maybe motor mounts. Hard to say on an auto. If fact I think I have only had similar on standard vehicles.
                  Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Working...
                  X