X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked the head or blew the gasket?

What are your thoughts?
    I got this car from craigslist.
    1999 Festiva L, $300.00 nice body with nice wheels & tires.
    Severe Blow by & low compression .
    So I pulled engine and put in rings and bearings, all new gaskets, water pump, thermostat, and timing belt ,had the head checked out and surfaced at the machine shop and dropped it back in .

Now 3 months later wife says she has no heat,
    I figured that the P.O. probably filled the thing with bars leak or such.
    so I flushed the heater core .
    The heater core flows fine , So I look at the engine and there is very little dribble from intake manifold heater hose port,( with engine running and water hose in rad).
    I turned off the engine and put the water hose into the ports that the heater core had been on and backflow the intake and head .
    Now I got water from the tailpipe, After I shut it down Cylinder 2 hydrolocked ,pulled plug and spun the engine to clear the water .
    I don't think the engine was very hot with water hose in radiator and heater return pipe plugged .
    Donn

If it was running good and only complaint was no heat I would suspect a corroded through section or crack in the intake allowing water into the manifold.

I would run a compression test before I took anything apart to verify that is good.
    Last edited by econoaddict; 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Sometimes it doesn't take long to discover why the car was such a bargain initially. Luckily there are lots of members on this site that will have parts for you once the problem is diagnosed.

Comment

Working...
      X